Verizon FIOS Wireless Router
efb729

We have been having problems with the wireless connection in our home for the last couple years.    Very poor connections once you get 25 feet away from the router.   I have used Verizons various automated services, as well as contacting support a number of times.   Well this last Christmas we got our son a Apple IPOD Touch and set up the wireless information.   The problem is it will not connect to the router unless it is within 8 feet of the actual router.   We talked with Apple about the problem, and tried a few changes nothing worked.   Apple then gave us another IPOD Touch, and we are still seeing the same problem.   I called support yesterday, and the woman knew right away what would fix the problem, and said she would send us a new router, model MI424WR Rev 2, I said great, and thanked her for being so helpful.   Well today I just got a package from Verizon, and it is the same router I already have, just Rev. E instead of Rev. D.     This is not going to fix our poor connection problem.   I called support again, and was told this is the best Verizon can do, they will not do as I was told yesterday and send us the latest router, they can only send us the same router knowing this will not resolve the issue we are having.   Then she tells me we have 35/25 MB internet service, when over the Summer  we had to re-upand was told I would have 50/50 MB service.    I check our bill on the web, and it says 50/25 MB service.  I guess it does not matter since unless we are within a few feet of the current router we can only get 10/10 MB.  I have already changed a number of setting in the current router based on supports recommendations, with little to no improvement.   Yesterday I thought based on what I was told the newer model of the router would finially make a difference, and then they pulled a switch and sent me basically the same router.   I have wasted so much time and never get any where.   I do not know why Verizon calls us and tells us we are valued customers, when in our opion they ignor our problems.

Very unhappy customer

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FIOS Wireless Router
ShawnWCummings1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm assuming you're using 2.4Ghz frequency.  This is easily impacted by 2.4Ghz wireless phones (home phones).  If you're using a 2.4Ghz wireless phone, unplug that and retest.

If you can change the channel your wifi is using try that.  If you're in a highly congested area, and a lot of your neighbors are using the default channel on their router it could be impacting.  I try to use either the highest channel or the lowest.

Walls and floors can impact reception.  Try not to keep the router on the floor.  If you can mount it on the wall, and point the antennas in the direction you wish to help the signal.  If you have 2 antennas, point each in different directions.

Make sure the antennas are properly screwed onto the router (they can come loose).

You indicated that it works within 8 feet... After 8 feet are you in another room or on another floor?

0 Likes