Verizon FIOS blocks some sites ? Can you see these sites ?
chuckval1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't log into some of my sites using my home internet service (Verizon FIOS).   Can anyone confirm access to the following through their Verizon FIOS service:

www.valentinetool.com

www.mansfieldorchestras.org

Not only can I not view these sites but I can't access my POP3 e-mail accounts either.

I can use GoToMyPC from my Verizon account to log into my work account (Comcast) and I can access these sites through my Comcast acct but not with FIOS.    Maybe I need to be switching back as this isn't the first time FIOS has blocked sites from me.

Thanks for letting me know if you can access these sites.

C~

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon FIOS blocks some sites ? Can you see these sites ?
Justin46
Legend

@chuckval wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Could you elaborate, ie: "IP address is on a BOGON list "     I've never heard of this and would this keep me from viewing a site as well as e-mail issues ?

My e-mail accounts are on the sites as listed and I use Thunderbird setup for POP3 to access my e-mails.   When I try to connect I get a "timed-out" message.

Thanks,

C~

If you Google "bogon filter" you will find a Wikipedia article that talks about this problem, plus of course plenty of other links to articles, etc. Basically what has happened is that many "bad guys" have used IP addresses in the past for nefarious uses, so to protect themselves many websites use a "bogon filter" to block those addresses. But IP addresses that were once used for bad things in the past can be used for good ones now; as ISPs expand their networks they acquire blocks of IP addresses and start using them for legitimate purposes. But it is up to each website to manage their own bogon filters, and many don't keep them up to date very well.

For you, probably you recently got a new IP address (this happens regularly for people who do not pay for and have static IP addresses) and the new address was on a bogon filter list for those sites, and still is. The only way to get your current IP address removed from the list is to contact the websites, or just wait, eventually they will probably update their filter and then you will be able to access the sites.

Another option for you is to record your IP address right now, then turn off your router overnight, turn it on tomorrow and see what IP address you get. If it is on another block of IP addresses the odds are good that you will then be able to reach the sites just fine.

Oh, and I too can get to those websites just fine, I am also a FiOS user.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@chuckval wrote:

I can't log into some of my sites using my home internet service (Verizon FIOS).   Can anyone confirm access to the following through their Verizon FIOS service:

www.valentinetool.com

www.mansfieldorchestras.org

Not only can I not view these sites but I can't access my POP3 e-mail accounts either.

I can use GoToMyPC from my Verizon account to log into my work account (Comcast) and I can access these sites through my Comcast acct but not with FIOS.    Maybe I need to be switching back as this isn't the first time FIOS has blocked sites from me.

Thanks for letting me know if you can access these sites.

C~

Both sites loaded just fine on my Verizon FiOS connection. Odds are that your IP address is on a BOGON list and it's actually the sites that are blocking you. 

On the POP3 issue, are these verizon.net accounts or a third-party account? What error are you getting?

0 Likes
chuckval1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Could you elaborate, ie: "IP address is on a BOGON list "     I've never heard of this and would this keep me from viewing a site as well as e-mail issues ?

My e-mail accounts are on the sites as listed and I use Thunderbird setup for POP3 to access my e-mails.   When I try to connect I get a "timed-out" message.

Thanks,

C~

Justin46
Legend

@chuckval wrote:

Thanks,

C~

If you Google "bogon filter" you will find a Wikipedia article that talks about this problem, plus of course plenty of other links to articles, etc. Basically what has happened is that many "bad guys" have used IP addresses in the past for nefarious uses, so to protect themselves many websites use a "bogon filter" to block those addresses. But IP addresses that were once used for bad things in the past can be used for good ones now; as ISPs expand their networks they acquire blocks of IP addresses and start using them for legitimate purposes. But it is up to each website to manage their own bogon filters, and many don't keep them up to date very well.

For you, probably you recently got a new IP address (this happens regularly for people who do not pay for and have static IP addresses) and the new address was on a bogon filter list for those sites, and still is. The only way to get your current IP address removed from the list is to contact the websites, or just wait, eventually they will probably update their filter and then you will be able to access the sites.

Another option for you is to record your IP address right now, then turn off your router overnight, turn it on tomorrow and see what IP address you get. If it is on another block of IP addresses the odds are good that you will then be able to reach the sites just fine.

Oh, and I too can get to those websites just fine, I am also a FiOS user.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

chuckval1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the Help.   Much appreciated. 

Logged into my work account and forwarded this information to my ISP support person.   Hopefully they can clear my IP address so I don't have to reset my router.

Regards,

C~

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@chuckval wrote:

Thanks for the Help.   Much appreciated. 

Logged into my work account and forwarded this information to my ISP support person.   Hopefully they can clear my IP address so I don't have to reset my router.

Regards,

C~

You are welcome. And hopefully you are talking with the right people and they will be able to quickly change the filter.

By the way, it is not a reset of the router, just a power off overnight (or whenever you aren't going to use it for a few hours). This procedure just ensures that when the IP address renewal time arrives that your router does not do so, and some other lucky user will get that address, and then you will get a different one. No other change. But of course the new address could be in the bogon fliter of others sites you visit Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248