Re: Verizon FIOS speedtest -- not happy with results
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Actually 18/15 is actually fairly typical on a wireless g connection. You are not likely going to improve much on that. Not with the Verizon G router anyway.

Anyone paying for anything above the 20/5 package with Verizon and using exclusively Wireless are generally overpaying as most wireless connections are not capable of those speeds. If you really want to increase the speeds, you really need to take a look at maybe switch to N wireless. Assuming that your mac is an "N" ready device, what you would want to do is get yourself a "N" Wireless Access Point (WAP) and add that to your Verizon router. One small side note, if you have any wireless devices that are not "N" systems you will need a "dual band" WAP so your "G" devices dont bring your whole network down to the "G" speeds defeating the purpose of doing the upgrade. Once you have an "N" WAP then you should be able to get speeds up closer to the 35 that you are paying for. But remember, that with wireless, nothing you do will ever make it as stable or as fast as a wired connection. All you can do is make the best of it.

shocklizzard
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was actually set to wireless channel number 4.  I switched to 6, because 1 and 11 were taken.  It looks like Im getting better results now....in the neighborhood of 25/25.  The only caveat is that my wireless range extender isn't connected due to the channel change.

Thanks for all the help.  I'm pleased with the results now... as long as Im relatively near the router that is.  Once Im upstairs of my house, speeds of course drop off quite a bit.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@shocklizzard wrote:

I was actually set to wireless channel number 4.  I switched to 6, because 1 and 11 were taken.

Each channel is 5Mhz wide, but 802.11g uses 20Mhz (4 channels), which is why you want to be 5 channels away from others.

Since you were using channel 4, you were overlapping channel 3 and half of channel 2, while your neighbor on channel 1 was overlapping channel 2 and half of channel 3.

Here's a good FAQ on the subject:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/14250

shocklizzard
Enthusiast - Level 2
That's interesting...I never knew that. Thx for sharing.
Jbarrow11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am unable to use Verizon's spped check

I have tried 4 times but will not connect  and zero information

I am running XP-64 bit...Perhaps that is the problem

0 Likes
vthiji10
Enthusiast - Level 2
this is my speed test result Download Speed:1.09Mbps Upload Speed:0.87Mbps and http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ predicted my above Speed Test Result..
0 Likes
TRY THIS SITE FOR UR SPEED TEST
MAYBESOMEDAY
Enthusiast - Level 3

TRY http://speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/ ITS THE NEW SPEEDTEST FOR HIGHER SPEED USERS. I HAVE 35/35 AND ITS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE GOT WHAT I PAID FOR. I GOT A NEW ROUTER AND I HAD TO REPLACE MY ETHERNET BOARD WHICH CAME WITH A NEW WINDOWS 7 OR ABOVE DRIVER.  THAT DID THE TRICK.  WHAT I THINK VERIZON SHOULD DO IS STEP EVERYONE UP TO 50/50 FOR THE SAME PRICE AS 35/35 !!   ITS VERY EXPENSE TOO ME, I HAVE FIOS AND TELEPHONE, AND I PAY $101.32 WITH TAX.  THAT'S ALOT OF MONEY FOR SOME ONE WHO USES IT NOW AND THEN!!  BUT WHEN I DO, I WANT SOME SPEED JUST LIKE THE NEXT GUY ! 

I DON'T LIKE THE SIGNING IN PROCESS OF THIS SITE EITHER, AND THE BILLING DEPT OF VERIZON HAS NO CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON AT ALL, NONE!  MAKE A CHANGE, AND ITS MONTHS BEFORE THE BILL IS RIGHT, IF EVER!  VERIZON EVEN SHUT ME OFF 3DAYS AFTER I PAID MY BILL EARLY ONE MONTH!! HOWS THAT FOR SERVICE??

++THE BEST THING ABOUT THE SERVICE IS NO DOWN TIME AND GREAT TECH SUPPORT.

I DID HAVE AN APPOINTMENT FOR A TECH TO COME OUT, HE NEVER SHOWED UP, NO ONE EVER CALLED ME, I DIDN'T COMPLAIN, AND WHO KNOWS WHERE THE TECH WAS THAT DAY??  VERIZON DIDN'T !  SO MUCH FOR THAT TICKET!