Verizon FiOS + Airport Express
Not applicable

I recently signed up for FiOS home internet, and the apartment I am moving into is already wired for it. After signing up for service with Verizon, I opted to bring my own router rather than opt to rent one from Verizon for $10/month. The agent who helped me couldn't really indicate which types of routers are FiOS-compatible, but since I have an Apple Airport Express, I was hoping to simply use that.

It seems that I don't need a separate modem for FiOS either, so is it simply plugging in the ethernet cable from the wall directly to my Airport Express? Or is there more to it that I am missing?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon FiOS + Airport Express
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon doesn't use modems.

You can get a straight ethernet connection and use any Internet router.

If you are ordering TV service using Verizon boxes, it is best to use a Verizon router as it has all the rules to allow guide and VOD data.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are ordering TV service using Verizon boxes, it is best to use a Verizon router as it has all the rules to allow guide and VOD data.

0 Likes
Not applicable

RIght so if they don't use modems my assumption is I can plug the ethernet cable directly into my router (rather than the tradiitonal setup of internet source from ISP > modem > router). 

I won't be using TV or phone—internet only. So I'd really prefer to pass on the Verizon router since it costs an extra $10/month. 

Does this mean that the Airport will work? 

0 Likes
GFVALVO
Enthusiast - Level 3

@CRobGauth wrote:

Is not the ONT a modem?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ont is not a modem.  More like a transceiver.

Yes you can use any router you want so airport will work.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes