Switch Account

Verizon FiOS Modem Rental

Verizon FiOS Modem Rental

SOLVED
Contributor jgc1986
Contributor
Message 1 of 11
(17,980 Views)

Which modems can I purchase to be compatiable with my FiOS Quantum 50/50 service, so I can avoid paing $9.99 to rent a device...?

10 REPLIES 10
Platinum Contributor II Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II
Message 2 of 11
(17,971 Views)

FIOS doesn't use modems.

Are you getting Internet only or TV service as well?

If TV service, then but a FIOS rotuer.

You can either buy the basic or the more advanced router.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Contributor jgc1986
Contributor
Message 3 of 11
(17,957 Views)

So  "FiOS Quantum Gateway" is just a wireless router? I thought it was a modem/wireless router all in 1 device?

What alternative devices can I buy to use?

Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I
Message 4 of 11
(17,953 Views)

Go here and you can buy it. 

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayDetails

Or if you want the new fios quantum gateway go to

>verizon.com

>login

>move mouse to "my verizon"

>under my services click on "renew or change bundle"

>in the left clcik on wireless routers

>and buy for $200.

Contributor jgc1986
Contributor
Highlighted
Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV
Message 6 of 11
(17,922 Views)

You didn't answer the question about whether you're getting FIOS-TV or not.

If you don't have FIOS-TV, you can request an ethernet handoff from the ONT and use any router you wish.

If you have FIOS-TV, you need the Actiontec or Quantum router to provide guide data and VOD to your STBs.

Contributor jgc1986
Contributor
Message 7 of 11
(17,919 Views)

I'll have the Preferred HD package with 1 HD DVR box, and the 50/50 internet package.

Platinum Contributor II Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II
Message 8 of 11
(17,856 Views)

Then as stated, you need to use FIOS router.

Your choice to rent or buy.

And which model you want.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Silver Contributor V Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V
Message 9 of 11
(17,853 Views)

@jgc1986 wrote:

So  "FiOS Quantum Gateway" is just a wireless router? I thought it was a modem/wireless router all in 1 device?

What alternative devices can I buy to use?

As previously mentioned, FiOS does not use modems.  The devices Verizon provides are routers, plain and simple.  What may confuse you is in addition to Ethernet and WiFi ports, they have MoCA ports.  MoCA runs over coax and is used for the ONT to router WAN connection AND router to STB LAN connections.  Google "MoCA" for more info.

If you don't have TV you don't need the MoCA LAN for the STBs.  Thus, you can use any router  you want by getting the ONT configured for Ethernet WAN; all it takes is a brief call/chat to Verizon.  Note that Verizon provides absolutely no support for systems with non-Verizon routers in them.

If you'd like to read about ways to setup home networks with various routers, click here:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

The best place to purchase a new Actiontec rev I is here:

http://www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

Good Luck.

-----
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I
Message 10 of 11
(17,823 Views)

You can get from ebay or craigslist, as long as its a fios MI424WR or the quantum gateway.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.