Verizon FiOS Support
tsh_138
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently reached out to Verizon due to issues with the Actiontec MI424WR router.  In speaking with tech support it was determined my problem was due to the wireless technology being 802.11g and they recommended changing out the router for the Actiontec MI424WR router that supports 802.11n.  However, they were unable to complete such an exchange due to it differring from my current router, they can only change it out for the same version.  Anyhow, they brought sales onto the chat who offerred to sell me the 802.11n for $34.99 to which I was not open to without a credit for $34.99 since tech support had confirmed the problem was with the router technology.  The discussion continued, no profanity, and in the end the Verizon tech or sale rep seems to have reset my LNT. This resulted in my losing the connection plus phone and internet for a brief period.  While I understand I was challenging them to provide the service I pay for not once was I profane or insulting. Such a response is highly unethical and reflects poorly on Verizon.

If anything they should be embarassed to provide routers with only 10/100 ethernet ports and 802.11g wireless as the competition in this space is heated and other providers supply customers with equipment supporting 802.11n andor gigabit ethernet.  They argue that the routers support the speeds purchased, but fail to acknowledge that 802.11g cannot provide the range, wall penetration, and tolerance for interference that 802.11n does.  Once you factor those into the equation the speed is less, if not zero, using that wireless technology.  Additionally, they hinder the transfer of large amounts of information between systems on the local network.  So media sharing and system backups ranging from 1 Gb to over 200 Gb can be painfully slow.

Furthermore, calling the 800 support line results in an hour or more wait time.  Completely unacceptable!!!  My account is in good standing and I pay good money for what Verizon touts as better service, but they have yet to demonstrate better service.

Have others had similar experiences?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FiOS Support
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@tsh_138 wrote:

... they should be embarrassed to provide routers with only 10/100 ethernet ports and 802.11g wireless as the competition in this space is heated ... My account is in good standing and I pay good money for what Verizon touts as better service, but they have yet to demonstrate better service ... Have others had similar experiences?

With the exception of the DVR, I was fortunate enough to receive essentially new gear during my install.  Shortly after the install I traded out the DVR for the latest model (at a price).  Since then my gear has performed without problems.

I agree that it would be "nice" if every user were issued the latest equipment and returned gear was recycled or discarded.  However I don't believe that's a  realistic expectation these days.  I am a Comcast "survivor" and all the gear they issued to me was other than new.  Only in the case of earlier VoIP providers was I issued brand new equipment at each stage.

When I consider the capital outlay involved in running FiOS to my area, providing installation and related services, and supporting my (many) early CSR sessions, I'd say that VZ needs to hold on to my account for quite a while to make back the nut.  If I then ask for new gear at no cost, it gets a bit touchy.  They've already decided to limit FiOS expansion for cost (and market-related) reasons.  I think FiOS is the way to go and I don't want to push my luck.

Just my view of course.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FiOS Support
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@tsh_138 wrote:

I recently reached out to Verizon due to issues with the Actiontec MI424WR router.  In speaking with tech support it was determined my problem was due to the wireless technology being 802.11g and they recommended changing out the router for the Actiontec MI424WR router that supports 802.11n.  However, they were unable to complete such an exchange due to it differring from my current router, they can only change it out for the same version.  Anyhow, they brought sales onto the chat who offerred to sell me the 802.11n for $34.99 to which I was not open to without a credit for $34.99 since tech support had confirmed the problem was with the router technology.  The discussion continued, no profanity, and in the end the Verizon tech or sale rep seems to have reset my LNT. This resulted in my losing the connection plus phone and internet for a brief period.  While I understand I was challenging them to provide the service I pay for not once was I profane or insulting. Such a response is highly unethical and reflects poorly on Verizon.

If anything they should be embarassed to provide routers with only 10/100 ethernet ports and 802.11g wireless as the competition in this space is heated and other providers supply customers with equipment supporting 802.11n andor gigabit ethernet.  They argue that the routers support the speeds purchased, but fail to acknowledge that 802.11g cannot provide the range, wall penetration, and tolerance for interference that 802.11n does.  Once you factor those into the equation the speed is less, if not zero, using that wireless technology.  Additionally, they hinder the transfer of large amounts of information between systems on the local network.  So media sharing and system backups ranging from 1 Gb to over 200 Gb can be painfully slow.

Furthermore, calling the 800 support line results in an hour or more wait time.  Completely unacceptable!!!  My account is in good standing and I pay good money for what Verizon touts as better service, but they have yet to demonstrate better service.

Have others had similar experiences?

Sorry to hear of your troubles...

Just a few things:

Pardon if I am not too certain what exactly it is that you have a technical issue with the router other than your mention of media sharing and system backups of 1 GB to over 200 GB being painfully slow.

One thing to remember, though, most folks have the single-antenna routers and those work fine for regular type of internet activity.  Even with the old 25/25 and regular router, my residential speed is sufficient and still fast given the number of laptops being used for work at home, streaming of videos, games on the PS3 and WII, iPads, Kindle, Google Nexus, etc.

If you upgrade your internet speed to 150 Mbps/65 Mbps then you receive a free router upgrade to the dual-antenna FiOS GiGe wireless "N" router.  A technician visit is included and your Optical Network Terminal (ONT) will be checked for compatibility with the new speed (depending on ONTs available in your area).

If you have the single-antenna router, the wired speed supported on that is up to 100 Mbps; but if you have multiple devices at home connected wirelessly, then the max wireless speed supported is 50 Mbps (give or take other factors that impact internet speeds at home).  If you upgrade to the 50/25 Mbps or 75/35 Mbps speed, and you'd like to get the dual-antenna "N" router, you can purchase one online via verizon.com/fiosaccessories or over the phone by speaking with customer service, or via a local FIOS store.  By the way, if you order online or over the phone, you may likely get charged shipping fees to have the equipment mailed to your home. Otherwise you can pick up the equipment at a local store.  For a list of Verizon FiOS stores in your area: http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/tv/fiostv/General+Support/Account+Issues/QuestionsOne/8...

The cost of the "N' router is $79.99. 

Having said all that, it sounds like the type of activity that you're doing with media sharing and system back-up on a home network is above average and more than the norm.   The sales rep from Verizon offered you a router at a lower cost.  

By the way, only technical support can have access to reset your equipment at home.  If you were experiencing a problem with the internet speed or range, then they may have reset your router.  The tech support rep should have informed you of this if they were performing some sort of troubleshooting/resolution.

If there is a long hold time via the 800 number, try 1-888-553-1555.  If it's been more than 15 minutes of a wait time (the system mentions how long the wait time would be), then I'd try calling back again.  Sometimes it is timing.

I personally would never say on hold on the phone for ANY company for more than 30 minutes. 

You can also try the live chat via http://www22.verizon.com/content/contactus

Basically, you can attempt to see if you can get the N router at the discounted rate again with the next representative you speak with (maybe even free) due to the inconvenience you experienced, particularly of losing connection without your consent (if indeed the tech support rep purposely or inadvertently reset your equipment).  There should be a note of the prior telephone call you had made regarding the router.

Lastly, if your regular router IS defective, then tech support can determine that and issue you a replacement router by mail (or you can swap it out at a local FiOS store).

Good luck!

0 Likes