Verizon FiOS and Google Wifi
TRFish

I am contemplating getting Google Wifi for a meshed network.  I read a previous thread on it.  Here is my thought....  I have FiOS with TV and Phone.  Could I simply set up Google WiFi as a Sub LAN on my network.  In other words, use my router as the bridge to the network and have Google Wifi give out a different set of IPs.  My FiOS router gives out the 192.168.1.XXX IPs and the google router (plugged into the router) then gives out IPs like 172.28.100.XXX

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FiOS and Google Wifi
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could do that, but do keep in mind that this is Double NAT. Double NAT can cause problems with devices like game consoles or cameras, and break VPNs or VoIP applications. It's best to use Google Wi-Fi in Access Point / Bridge Mode, or to make it into the Primary router if you don't have FiOS TV.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you already have a fios router then connect the ont to Google router. Then you will probably need a switch since google router only has 1 lan port. Then take a port from switch or lan port of google router to wan port of fios router and that will create the lan for your fios stb's. Also make sure to leave the coax connected to the fios router.

Then only the cable boxes will be on a sub net and everything else on your network will be on the Google router. 

0 Likes
Ejreiter

Hi

i followed your instructions below.  And it seems to work and solve my double NAT issues. 

However the only problem I’m having having is the STB no longer can do “on demand” channels. 

Is this to be expected or did I do something incorrectly?

0 Likes