Verizon Fios Internet working -- Now it doesn't?!?
BJ50

I started having trouble last night getting connection to the internet on my laptop.  I tried everything and finally felt like it was an issue with my laptop.  I was ready to ship it back to HP to fix.  Then this morning my desktop can't connect.  They both connect to the server but it states "no Internet access..."  Has anyone had a similar issue? I called Verizon and there was a message about disabling McAfee firewall to see if that helped.  It didn't. 

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Fios Internet working -- Now it doesn't?!?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Were they both updated via Windows Update recently? There have been some updates going around through Windows Update that have been preventing the Internet from working correctly on patched machines. If updates were installed you may want to try doing a system restore to see if that fixes things. Also try another Internet connection to see if it is just your connection seeing issues rather than the computers.

Also, if you have VISS installed, try uninstalling it temporarily to see if that helps to restore connectivity and then go from there.

0 Likes
BJ50

I read another thread and tried restoring the system prior to the latest Microsoft updates (8/16/12).  It worked.  But what do I do now? Don't I need the updates? Will they try and re-install them automatically?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The system will try to re-install those updates the next time it performs it's updating routines. It's best to try to get them installed as they do patch some exploits that malware can use to get Administrator access on a locked down machine.

If you have any Firewalls, such as VISS or ZoneAlarm installed uninstall them temporarily until you install the patches. Once installed, if the Internet is working re-install the Firewall you had. If it's Windows Firewall, that should not be bothering anything as it's a key component of Windows called IPSEC. You may also want to try updating your NIC drivers if after patching you cannot ping your router in command prompt. We can detail this too if you're not sure on what all of this means.

If something does stop the Internet from working again, restore back to the last point where it worked and let us know where it broke down.

0 Likes