Community Leader
Community Leader

1 - yes

2- no or not noticeably anyway

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Fios Moca Setup
OneEyedWonder

thanks for the reply.

i apologize for the perhaps naive questions, but are there better speed switches that i should be using or all they all pretty much the same.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@OneEyedWonder wrote:

thanks for the reply.

i apologize for the perhaps naive questions, but are there better speed switches that i should be using or all they all pretty much the same.

The switch will not make much difference to your internet traffic but for in housde device to device traffic using 1 gb switches will make a difference over 100 mb.

0 Likes
OneEyedWonder

much appreciated....

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

1)  Yes, there is no reason you can't connect a switch to the ECB2500.  You should be able to find a 5 port gigabit switch for $20.  They are a commodity item, so no point in recommending specific brands.

2)  No.  The signal is digital.  There should be no degredation.

0 Likes
OneEyedWonder

First off, i want to follow up and say i did purchase the ECB2500 and have hooked it up via an ethernet swtich to both an Apple TV and Samnsung Smart TV.  It works great; couldn't be happier with the results.  So much so i recommended it to a friend who purchased it as well.

Tonight i went over to help him set up his 2 MOCA adaptors. The first one, we hooked up and ran to an XBOX.  worked like a charm, no issue whatsover.

However, when we ran the second box to his Samsung Smart TV it would not connect to the wired network.  It would give partial web address in the settings.  All the lights on the Actiontec lit up except for the COAX light.  We then switched COAX cables; also switched which outputs the coax came from out of the splitter.  The STB worked no problem no matter which output of the splitter we used.  We just weren't getting the Coax light to indicate a good connection.

We thought that maybe it was a problem with the unit so we switched with the one running the XBOX.  The XBOX again connected with no problem. We then tried the other one on the Smart TV and same problem. We even tried running it to AppleTV.  

We are not gettiing a Coax connection to the actiontec otherwise the light would be lit.

If anyone has any solution or troubleshoot we can perform to fix this issue i would greatly appreciate it.  Also if there is addtional information that i can provide please let me know.

Thanks.

OEW

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Check all splitters (there may be more than one) going to the Samsung Smart TV and the second MOCA adapter. 

They need to be rated 1Ghz or better.  If it's not, they won't pass MOCA signals.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

f you are replacing splitters you should aim for higher than 1 Ghz.   MOCA uses  frequencies higher than 1 Ghz.  Look for splitters designed for satellite TV they are rated 2 - 3 Ghz.   You can purchase then on line for a few bucks.  Not need to buy gold plated ones for $10 +.

CATV rated splitters usually are rated 900 Mhz.

0 Likes
OneEyedWonder

I figured it out. The TV hookup made 8 total devices, and i think that its over the limit.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

MOCA 1.0 allows 8 devices.  That includes your router, all STBs, Any MOCA capab le TIVOs, and any MOCA adapters.

MOCA 1.1 allows 16 devices.  However for that limit, ALL devices must be MOCA 1.1 compliant.  Any MOCA 1.0 device and the limit reverts to 8.