Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

Verizon Fios Moca Setup

viafax999
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: Verizon Fios Moca Setup

Message 11 of 20
(1,456 Views)

1 - yes

2- no or not noticeably anyway

OneEyedWonder
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 12 of 20
(1,453 Views)

thanks for the reply.

i apologize for the perhaps naive questions, but are there better speed switches that i should be using or all they all pretty much the same.

viafax999
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 13 of 20
(1,446 Views)

@OneEyedWonder wrote:

thanks for the reply.

i apologize for the perhaps naive questions, but are there better speed switches that i should be using or all they all pretty much the same.

The switch will not make much difference to your internet traffic but for in housde device to device traffic using 1 gb switches will make a difference over 100 mb.

OneEyedWonder
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 14 of 20
(1,440 Views)

much appreciated....

Anti-Phish
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Message 15 of 20
(1,432 Views)

1)  Yes, there is no reason you can't connect a switch to the ECB2500.  You should be able to find a 5 port gigabit switch for $20.  They are a commodity item, so no point in recommending specific brands.

2)  No.  The signal is digital.  There should be no degredation.

OneEyedWonder
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 16 of 20
(1,348 Views)

First off, i want to follow up and say i did purchase the ECB2500 and have hooked it up via an ethernet swtich to both an Apple TV and Samnsung Smart TV.  It works great; couldn't be happier with the results.  So much so i recommended it to a friend who purchased it as well.

Tonight i went over to help him set up his 2 MOCA adaptors. The first one, we hooked up and ran to an XBOX.  worked like a charm, no issue whatsover.

However, when we ran the second box to his Samsung Smart TV it would not connect to the wired network.  It would give partial web address in the settings.  All the lights on the Actiontec lit up except for the COAX light.  We then switched COAX cables; also switched which outputs the coax came from out of the splitter.  The STB worked no problem no matter which output of the splitter we used.  We just weren't getting the Coax light to indicate a good connection.

We thought that maybe it was a problem with the unit so we switched with the one running the XBOX.  The XBOX again connected with no problem. We then tried the other one on the Smart TV and same problem. We even tried running it to AppleTV.  

We are not gettiing a Coax connection to the actiontec otherwise the light would be lit.

If anyone has any solution or troubleshoot we can perform to fix this issue i would greatly appreciate it.  Also if there is addtional information that i can provide please let me know.

Thanks.

OEW

Anti-Phish
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Message 17 of 20
(1,338 Views)

Check all splitters (there may be more than one) going to the Samsung Smart TV and the second MOCA adapter. 

They need to be rated 1Ghz or better.  If it's not, they won't pass MOCA signals.

CaptainSTX
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 18 of 20
(1,333 Views)

f you are replacing splitters you should aim for higher than 1 Ghz.   MOCA uses  frequencies higher than 1 Ghz.  Look for splitters designed for satellite TV they are rated 2 - 3 Ghz.   You can purchase then on line for a few bucks.  Not need to buy gold plated ones for $10 +.

CATV rated splitters usually are rated 900 Mhz.

OneEyedWonder
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 19 of 20
(1,294 Views)

I figured it out. The TV hookup made 8 total devices, and i think that its over the limit.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Anti-Phish
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Message 20 of 20
(1,283 Views)

MOCA 1.0 allows 8 devices.  That includes your router, all STBs, Any MOCA capab le TIVOs, and any MOCA adapters.

MOCA 1.1 allows 16 devices.  However for that limit, ALL devices must be MOCA 1.1 compliant.  Any MOCA 1.0 device and the limit reverts to 8.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title