Verizon Forcing Upgrades & Installation Fees or More Expensive Slower Internet
wildcat07
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am nearing the end of a two year contract for 75 Mbps internet and TV for $90 per month.  I went to look at a new contract and only saw options for 100 Mbps ($110/month) and 300 Mbps ($120/month) internet, both of which require a $150 "installation" charge to upgrade infrastructure. I am single and don't think I need anything faster (especially with the extra required cost).  I went online to chat about what Verizon could do and the "best offer" for my current package was more than $130/month.  I was told that the other offers were cheaper because the speeds were faster (which makes no sense and runs counter to how pricing had been before).

Seems to me Verizon is forcing more revenue from their customers by either charging them a lot more for slower speeds or making them pay one time fees for existing customers to get the best pricing (also by buying more speed than they might need).  Safe to say this has me considering Comcast if this is how Verizon is now treating long-time customers.

Anyone else having this issue?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Forcing Upgrades & Installation Fees or More Expensive Slower Internet
jonjones1
Legend

Those lower costs are for new customer pricing. Alas you aren’t a new customer.

you could leave and go to cable.

or you can terminate verizon service and have your wife, girlfriend, relative sign up for gigabyte internet $79 and you can always get a streaming tv service and you save money on those costs. If you use your own router you save $144 a year etc.

thoughts to ponder. 

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Forcing Upgrades & Installation Fees or More Expensive Slower Internet
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

As stated above, you aren't a new customer.

Wouldn't be surprised when your contract is up with Comcast (assuming you switch) also rises to be more than what new customers get.

Providers use teaser rates to get people to sign up then raise when contracts expire.

Most people don't want to keep hopping to chase a better deal.

0 Likes
32dj1

Once your contract is up you do not need to renew it. They will just leave you at the contracted price and service level you at at now no new contract so you can switch to another provider at any time. Verizon does not shut you down when your contract expires, you just become a month to month subscriber with no price increase.

Best of luck

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Verizon will raise your rates with contract or no contract. They give some made up reasons. They tried it with me. I called and said I will not pay the increase of $4 extra a month. I have never been under contract. Where I live I have fios and spectrum both in our home. It’s as easy as canceling fios and plugging in my owned cable internet modem and just calling up to turn it on.

verizon fios seen my point and they credited me the full cost of the increase. If it pops on again I will call and tell them to simply shut it off. They lose $1400.00 a year over $48 in bogus increases. I let them decide. I have gigabyte internet only and I own the router. 

0 Likes