Verizon G1100 Quantum Gateway router spurious 5Ghz output channel
richardT42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone seeing this situation? About a week ago I installed a new G1100 Quantum Gateway router without any problems. I have a desktop PC with a 5GHz WiFi adapter card and a Kindle Fire HD which use channel 149 at 5GHz. I also have an IBM Thinkpad using the 2.4GHz channel 11. The Kindle has a WiFi Analyzer app which allows me to view the activity on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Until about two days ago the WiFi analyzer and the Wireless Network Connection display on the desktop PC showed only one signal in the 5GHz band. Since then they both show two identical signals on channel 149 which have the same strength but different identification info. If I change the channel it just shifts both signals together. I spent almost an hour with a tech on live chat yesterday. He "looked" at  the router and asked a lot of questions. He tried some things from his end with no change. He finally suggested doing a factory reset. I tried that today and still no change. I'm beginning too  think I have a defective unit. The spurious output hasn't caused any problems so far but I find it very strange.

Re: Verizon G1100 Quantum Gateway router spurious 5Ghz output channel
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There was a firmware upgrade released for the G1100 on Thursday, 1/22/15, which may be why you see a change.  Try setting the channel manually.

Read some of the other threads on this forum and dslreports.com for more info.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
richardT42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks  for the reply. As i said in the post I did set the channel to a different channel and got the same thing.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Read some of the other threads on this forum and dslreports.com for more info.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Check that the guest network isn't activated.  Supposedly one of the changes with the new firware is this router will now support guest networks.

0 Likes
richardT42
Enthusiast - Level 2

It isn't in use.

0 Likes
richardT42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since I posted the original inquiry, I have talked with Verizon tech people twice with no resolution. The last person agreed to send me another router. After a week or so it had not arrived so I inquired and the customer service rep couldn't find a tracking number. A second one was sent out and as luck would have it both arrived within a day or two of each other. So then I had three routers. I put one of them in service and got the same result, two signals on the same channel in the 5Ghz band. I then plugged in the other router but did not connect the FIOS cable to it, just let it sit there by itself. My WiFi scanner on the kindle showed only one signal at 5Ghz for this router and two signals for the router connected to FIOS. I then swapped routers, connecting the single signal router to FIOS and  putting the two signal router aside. The WiFi scanner now showed two signals on the router which previously had only one signal at 5Ghz!!! The two signal router which was now not connected to FIOS still showed two signals also. Apparently, the routers initially have single signals when manufactured but FIOS software programs the device resulting in a different signal spectrum probably due to the security encoding algorithms utilized. By the way, depressing the factory reset button for 10 seconds or more does not return the router signal spectrum to a single signal. Also, I have not seen this characteristic in the 2.4Ghz band while using WEP encoding (my old laptop does not support anything else). The 5Ghz band uses WPA2.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello richardT42

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.

Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".

Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes