Verizon Gateway router vvs actiontec for upgrade to 100 MBPS
DarrSau

i recently upgraded to 100MBPS but I am only getting 93 MBPS on the old actiontec router  wired connection (i use my own router for wifi as the wifi radio on the actiontec is turned off)

Question ? will i get closer to 100MBPS if i switch from the actiotec to the Quantum router on a wired connection? or am i wasting my time on switching?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Gateway router vvs actiontec for upgrade to 100 MBPS
jonjones1
Legend

@DarrSau wrote:

i recently upgraded to 100MBPS but I am only getting 93 MBPS on the old actiontec router  wired connection (i use my own router for wifi as the wifi radio on the actiontec is turned off)

Question ? will i get closer to 100MBPS if i switch from the actiotec to the Quantum router on a wired connection? or am i wasting my time on switching?

100/100 should be around 120/113 or there about. The Quantum router is not all that great. However you might want to turn off QOS on the router you have now which is called WMM on the Quantum router. When you say wired connection are you meaning ethernet? Or coaxial? 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have ethernet from ont(main fios box) to you actiontec and don't have TV service I would consider getting your own non verizon router. Not only is the wifi bad on the quantum router but people report lots of otherpl problems like VPN, port forwarding and gaming issues.

0 Likes
DarrSau

It’s coaxial not Ethernet I have my own router only using actiontec as the modem the wi fi radio is turned off where is turn off QOS located in settings?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The actiontec rev i has gig ports so there definitely shouldn't be an issue with speed for a 100 mbps. When you hard wire do you hard wire into your router or the actiontec?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Coax is good for up to 100Mbps. To see the full 100Mbps tier, you'll need to get CAT5e run between your router and the ONT, then request Verizon to move your connection to Ethernet instead of MoCa/Coax. Leave the Coax connected to the router if you have a FiOS network extender, other MoCa devices, or FiOS TV.

As long as your ActionTec is the one with the red band (MI424WR Rev. I) you'll be good for all tiers up to 500Mbps. 1Gbps will require the G1100 since the MI424WR struggles with the Gigabit tier.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not exactly. There is no reason a Gpon ONT and Actiontec rev I shouldn’t be getting 100/100. I would routinely get 105/116 on coax before I upgraded to a gig. ONT’s are MOCA 1.1 and will get the full 100 mbps on coax. No ethernet is required. 

boomer3297

So, if i have a red band actiontec with that model number and when verizon says i need a new router to get 100 mbps i shouldn't believe them????

0 Likes
boomer3297

Do you have any recommendations  for routers? Im basically in the same boat.... thanks for sharing your knowledge. 

@Edg1 wrote:

If you have ethernet from ont(main fios box) to you actiontec and don't have TV service I would consider getting your own non verizon router. Not only is the wifi bad on the quantum router but people report lots of otherpl problems like VPN, port forwarding and gaming issues.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@boomer3297 wrote:

So, if i have a red band actiontec with that model number and when verizon says i need a new router to get 100 mbps i shouldn't believe them????

No. They were offering 150/150 mbps before the Gateway router even came out. So sometimes you might just get an inexperienced person on the phone but you definitely don't need a Gateway to get 100 mbps. 

0 Likes