Verizon_IHAMessageCenter.exe wakes up a sleeping cpu
pmanse

After hours of testing and investigation I've now narrowed down a problem with the Verizon_IHAMessageCenter background process.  It seems that it is waking up every 5 minutes or so to do something.  The problem is that if my computer is sleeping, it still wakes up and forces my computer to wake up also.  Every 5 minutes!  What is this process doing when it wakes up, and why can't it recognize a sleeping computer so it WON'T wake up.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon_IHAMessageCenter.exe wakes up a sleeping cpu
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Remove IHA_MessageCenter from the programs list and it will stop.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon_IHAMessageCenter.exe wakes up a sleeping cpu
going-crazy

For weeks now, I've had to keep my Dell laptop turned off most of the time, because it wakes up shortly after being put to sleep. If it's not turned off completely, it wakes up, starts to overheat and feels like it's ready to BURN UP!!! - it's SO HOT! Smiley Mad

I WASTED HOURS and HOURS - researching solutions, changing settings, disconnecting my mouse, turning off the printer, disconnecting the internet, changing settings all over the place. I even wound up having to RESTORE my computer because I inadvertently changed some important settings trying to figure out what gremlin or virus had taken over my computer. Cat Mad

This morning I sat next to my laptop. I put my laptop to sleep - within ONE MINUTE, the durn thing was back on! Over and over again, I put it to sleep, only to have it turn back on shortly thereafter.

The culprit was "VZDetectAgent.exe" - running as a service called "IHA_Message Center"!!!

I am afraid to delete it, because it wants me to run an installer "58ce50.msi". Since something is wrong with the program (is it compromised or hacked?), might the removal "cure" be even more dangerous? Instead I disabled it using "msconfig.exe" and then, under "Services" in Task Manager, unticked "IHA_MessageCenter".  The trouble ceased.

SHAME ON YOU, VZ, aka VERIZON! How many laptop batteries have you run down by turning our systems back on? How many laptops did you damage through excessive overheating?! Hours of labor wasted! Excessive energy wasted! Unending aggravation!

I was so angry this morning once I discovered whose software was at fault. But I waited before complaining, just in case the trouble was elsewhere. Several times now, since stopping Verizon's horrible VzDetectAgent and IHA_MessageCenter this morning, I've been able to put my laptop to sleep for naps - it's started sleeping better than a baby again - it doesn't wake until I tell it to wake up! Smiley Happy

Here's how I uncovered the culprit. After writing down the exact times the computer woke up, I started exploring. I did a right click on Computer to get Computer Management, Event Viewer, Windows Logs and System. After looking up the times, I found matching events under Source: Power-Management. They revealed:

Wake Source: Timer - VzDetectAgent.exe and

\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Verizon\IHA_MessageCenter\Bin\VzDetectAgent.exe

Bad, Verizon, bad!!!!

Here's one of the log entries - I changed only the PC name:

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter

Date: 6/10/2014 11:04:07 AM

Event ID: 1

Task Category: None

Level: Information

Keywords:

User: LOCAL SERVICE

Computer: XXXXX-PC

Description: The system has resumed from sleep.

Sleep Time: ‎2014‎-‎06‎-‎10T15:02:57.418799000Z

Wake Time: ‎2014‎-‎06‎-‎10T15:04:03.139601100Z

Wake Source: Timer - VzDetectAgent.exe

Event Xml: 1 1 4 0 0 0x8000000000000000 440628

System XXXXX-PC 2014-06-10T15:02:57.418799000Z 2014-06-10T15:04:03.139601100Z 5055 627 530 390 0 0 0 24832 4 4 5 17

VzDetectAgent.exe 91 0 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Verizon\IHA_MessageCenter\Bin\VzDetectAgent.exe

0 Likes