Verizon In Home Agent Annoyance
KDBerg1

I do not want this thing running unless I choose to start it up.  How do I disable autorun or if I can't do that, how do I uninstall it from Windows XP.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon In Home Agent Annoyance
dip1234
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here is what you can do and hopefully it will work. Go in your C:\Program Files (x86) and remove folder call "Verizon". Just delete the folder. And it should work. Make sure you are not going in start and then program, you are actually going in windows explorer and click on C: and then program files. You will see a folder called verizon. If you go in the folder you will see other folders and files etc...Just remore the Verizon folder from Program Files. 

Before removing the folder do these steps -

1. go in this folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Verizon\FiOS\ihsGo in  and right click on IHA_MessageCenter and select uninstall. This will uninstall the In Home Alert.

2. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Verizon\IHA_MessageCenter\AutoUpdate and right click on IHA_MessageCenter and select uninstall. This will uninstall Auto update.

While doing these steps if you see any error just remove Verizon folder completely.

Good Luck

Dip

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

you remove it like any other program. go to add or remove programs in the control panel and remove it.

0 Likes
KDBerg1

First thing I tried, but there is nothing in the list of installed software called Verizon In Home Agent.  Is it under some other program name?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Hmmm.  I removed mine long ago. I could have sworn that it was listed as "Verizon In Home Agent" in the list. Maybe someone else that still has it installed can tell us.

Did you try going into   Start--->Programs--->Verizon  and remove it from in there? Sometimes there is an uninstall in the program folder.

0 Likes
KDBerg1

Start--->Programs--->Verizon  is (Empty)

0 Likes
Lobes06

Programs that install themselves as services will not show up there.

Try this:

Start -> Run

Type in "msconfig" (without the quotes)

Click on the "Startup" tab, and uncheck the one for the home agent.  This also holds true for any other services you don't want to start up automatically. I turn off several that I found there that I didn't want to run.

Then click OK and it might ask to reboot. Go ahead and reboot and see if it starts up when things come back up. It shouldn't.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@KDBerg wrote:

First thing I tried, but there is nothing in the list of installed software called Verizon In Home Agent.  Is it under some other program name?

I see it in my add/remove programs as

Vz In Home Agent

I also see it in my start menu as

Verizon->Fios->In Home agent

However I then STUPIDLY selected it and it said it had an update and I let it run.

The update didn't complete properly - they've messed up the msi installer package script

and after it fails my start up menu looks just like yours.

Try clicking on the last empty item in the menu, I did, it then completed the agent install and you can remove it normally

KDBerg1

Uggh.  I tried the MSCONFIG, but Verizonservicepoint is the only recognizable Verizon thing in the list, and I had already disabled it before, without effect (it remains disabled).  Still nothing in the Start menu (clicking on the empty entry doesn't do anything.

In c:\Program Files\Verizon I have:

Unistall.exe

ihs\pkgs\SSMInstaller.exe

uninstall\SSM_Unistaller.exe

VSP directory with lots of stuff from 2007 (I only made the mistake of installing IHA about a month ago

Anyone know if one of these definitely is the right pgm to execute to uninstall IHA?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

those 3 files look like part of the Verizon Internet Security Suite (VISS) MacAfee version. Sounds like the In Home agent is uninstalled.

I reinstalled it on my computer just to check and it did show in the Add/Remove list.

If you installed it a month ago and cant find it. I'd just try a service recovery and see how it goes.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if service recovery doesn't work - you can try to install it as if it was never on your pc, once it is installed correctly over the old in home agent then it should produce the uninstall files. 

OR   I would personally download ccleaner first, and go to it's advanced uninstall feature.   I have several programs that won't show in the add/remove list but will show in ccleaner.exe and that program can find the uninstaller to get rid of it.

if that doesn't work though try the first thing.

0 Likes