Verizon Installation In Old Appartment
tlenker09

I need a little help planning this. My girlfriend and I are currently moving into a small appartment. The apartment is a split house. The entire right side of the house is our landlord, the downstairs left side (and basement) is a tenant, and our apartments is the upstairs (and half of the attick). The building is very old with plastered walls which means wiring inside of the walls is not possible.

Here is a picture of the type of walls I am talking about.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2635/3744878550_fd08b1f307_o.gif

Our apartment is basically a kitchen (with closet), bathroom, bedroom (with closet), and living room (excluding the attick). The outside installation should be a breeze but where would the battery backup box go. I would like it in the closet but there is not electrical outlets there. If we have it mounted on the wall somewhere I'm not sure our landlord would be too happy. Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Installation In Old Appartment
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONT needs to be mounted near a location where an interior outlet is available so that a short cable can be run from the BBU thru the wall to the ONT.  What options do you have, assuming an external mounting location, that would place the ONT near an outlet?   

The output from the ONT can be more distant from where it needs to enter the house to reach your apartment if that's necessary since that's just a phone wire and coax typically.

Sometimes they'll do an "interior" install mounting both the ONT and the BBU inside your apartment somewhere.  Is that an option?  You'd still need power in the location where the ONT would be mounted -- no way around that.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not 100% true.

My installation is totally inside.  The fiber was run thru the wall where the original nid connection came in and then terminated at a composite box inside the basement.  A far better solution..  The exccess fiber was rolled on to the provided spool on the back of the box which also included the battery backupon the front side.  That box could have been placed anywhere that was accesible to a power supplyand also close to the ethernet termination for the router connection..

My apologies, I see you described my setup at the end of your post, for some reaon, maybe the weather here in NE?, that was/is the more common installation method up here.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@viafax999 wrote:

Not 100% true.

My installation is totally inside.  The fiber was run thru the wall where the original nid connection came in and then terminated at a composite box inside the basement.  A far better solution..  The exccess fiber was rolled on to the provided spool on the back of the box which also included the battery backupon the front side.  That box could have been placed anywhere that was accesible to a power supplyand also close to the ethernet termination for the router connection..

My apologies, I see you described my setup at the end of your post, for some reaon, maybe the weather here in NE?, that was/is the more common installation method up here.

Actually, the ONT cannot be placed just anywhere. It all depends on what state you are in and also the local electrical/building laws. In many area's the ONT must be located within 12 feet of the electrical panel/ground of the home. In some areas it doesnt matter. So what works for some may not work for others. In my case, I was able to install everything inside my wiring closet, but only because when we remodeled the home, I placed my wiring closet on the opposite side of the wall from the circuit panel. I was lucky, because my original plans were to have the wire closet on the other side of the house but the contractor said it would be better to locate it here, due to the central vacuum system I installed. If not for that my ONT and BBU would not have been able to go with the rest of my equipment. So I would see if I could flag down one of the install techs in your neighborhood and ask what the local requirements are. Then make any decision based on what you find out.

Re: Verizon Installation In Old Apartment
SeniorGhost
Enthusiast - Level 3

" I would like it in the closet but there is not electrical outlets there. If we have it mounted on the wall somewhere I'm not sure our landlord would be too happy. Any ideas?"

Talk to  your landlord. Who knows - maybe he/she will be agreeable. The worst answer would be NO, but that's where you are now. The landlord has nothing to lose as FIOS will likely be around for a while and any future tenants will also be looking for service. Holes in plaster can be easily patched.