Verizon Internet and Comcast Cable TV
Sommeh
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm moving into a new place soon with another person, and they already have Comcast cable tv set up there. I was wondering if it's possible for me to have Verizon FiOS Internet set up there and for them to keep their Comcast TV while living in the same house?

They only watch TV, and I only use the internet but they like comcast and I like verizon which is why I'm asking if this is possible, thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Internet and Comcast Cable TV
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sure, it's possible.

Of course you'll need to keep the services and equipment separate.  FiOS typically uses coax to connect the ONT to the router. You don't want the coax from the Verizon ONT to connect to the coax setup with Comcast, or bad things will happen.

Your best bet is to get Verizon to provision the ONT for Ethernet to avoid any chance of coax confusion.

Good Luck.

Sommeh
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you very much, at least I know there's a chance, gives me some peace of mind. I heard about the coax and the problems involved but I haven't been able to find much about the subject.

Would everything work just the same if they went by Ethernet from the ONT as you said? Or is there some benefit to coax even if i'm using internet only?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Everything will be "ok" with Ethernet from ONT to router if the setup you're planning.

Coax to router is only necessary when TV service is provided by FiOS, in which case the coax allows TV features to function like TV listings, favorites, etc. etc.

0 Likes