Verizon / Level 3 NY peering latency
db3l

I added FIOS Internet at home last week and have been watching some standard latency tests I use with my existing Cable connection.  in general it was fine (with some burps over the weekend that I attributed to maintenance), but around noon today, and over the course of a few hours, the latency to a nearby location (Newark, NJ) skyrocketed.

It appears to be occurring at the boundary between Verizon (or rather than old UUnet network they purchased) and Level 3:

# ADDRESS                                 RT1   RT2   RT3   STATUS                                                     
 1 l100.nycmny-vfttp-59.verizon-gni.net    2ms   2ms   2ms                                                              
 2 g2-2-2-3.nycmny-lcr-22.verizon-gni.net  3ms   3ms   4ms                                                              
 3 ae4-0.ny5030-bb-rtr2.verizon-gni.net    33ms  23ms  3ms                                                              
 4 0.xe-11-1-0.br1.nyc1.alter.net          4ms   5ms   5ms                                                              
 5 ae11.edge2.newyork.level3.net           102ms 0ms   0ms                                                              
 6 vlan52.ebr2.newyork2.level3.net         90ms  96ms  96ms  <MPLS:L=1381,E=0>                                          
 7 ae-48-48.ebr2.newyork1.level3.net       91ms  88ms  90ms  <MPLS:L=1739,E=0>                                          
 8 ae-72-72.csw2.newyork1.level3.net       85ms  83ms  84ms  <MPLS:L=1028,E=0>                                          
 9 ae-2-70.edge8.newyork1.level3.net       89ms  90ms  88ms                                                             
10 netaccess.edge8.newyork1.level3.net     76ms  74ms  74ms                                                             
(...)

Under normal circumstances the entire path is about 6-7ms, so clearly there's some major congestion at that boundary or there's an actual issue going on.

I tried reporting it through support but level 1, while friendly, wasn't much use and when they tried to transfer me to premium support (after negotiating that days after being installed, I didn't deserve the major fee), the system just hung up on me.

Anyway, I've found some other latency reports here in the forums, and was wondering if I should just expect this sort of pattern, either during weekdays, or sporadically?

Has anyone found any way to communicate with someone high enough up in Verizon to have them look at their peering during an actual event like this?

Thanks.

-- David

0 Likes
Re: Verizon / Level 3 NY peering latency
db3l

Well, it seems to have eased up between 4-5pm and then returned to the prior <10ms latency - guess I'll need to wait to see if it repeats.  I hope it's not an underprovisioned peering, since this is the one target I really want to be able to get to reliably and with minimum latency.

-- David

0 Likes