Verizon MI424WR Router issues
DJJayito

I need help with my router.  Specifically, it is VERY SLOW (wirelessly).  Does anyone have any POSITIVE experiences with this or any other router?  MI424WR 

0 Likes
Re: Verizon MI424WR Router issues
Hubrisnxs
Legend

That router works great for me.   good strong consistent speeds.  Most likely it is the wireless signal.  you can change that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev(all)_Wireless_Networking_Guide.pdf

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

There are mulitple version of this router. Releases A, B, C, D,E,F,g,and I.  The earlier have some problems.  The F, G, and I support various version of Wireless-n.  Without wireless-n  they  will never be able to exceed about 20-25 mbps even under good conditions.

0 Likes
Mistaya
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I first had Fios installed they gave me the new N router I version but none of our computers, phones or tablets could keep a connection. Tech service was very good and kept working with us but nothing seemed to work. Finally I asked for a new router since this one seemed to be bad one and they agreed and sent me another. Unfortunately for me it was an older one, E version. I can hardly get a connection with this router through my house and I don't have a large house. It stays connected which is good but now have concern because I am suppose to be upgraded to the 50mps connection and read some where on here that certain version including my E won't work right with the speed upgrade. Otherwise they will hender it. I talked to a Fios installer when he was putting it in for my neighbor and he said our area doesn't use anything but the N router I version and was surprised they sent me the E. They haven't even had them for a year. He said to call tech and tell them to send me an N router like I had but I am guessing that just may not happen. I had switched to Fios not even a year ago and already on second router and then find out I never should have recieved it. I am so tempted to just go back to Comcast. I had no issues with them and could use my own router.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any ActionTec you receive from Verizon is rated for at least 100Mbps of WAN <> LAN throughput, even the Rev. As which are still in service in some places but have been gone from stock for years. The Rev. E will work fine with the 50Mbps service; you just won't get that speed on the Wireless. You'll get at most 25Mbps in a single direction, 30Mbps if you're in a very clean wireless area.

The drop-out issues people have seen with the newer routers have often been fixed by enforcing WPA2-only as the encryption and adjusting the router's Wireless N compatibiltiy setting to Compatibility mode or Performance mode, or vice versa. Some have also fixed it by adjusting the channel the router uses or by just updating drivers on a few problematic machines. It's hard to say why things are dropping out when it only happens with some folks but not everyone.

0 Likes