Verizon Router G1100 Wired Connections and 2G/5G WiFi Connectivity are not working
DaytonStar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi  I got Verizon Gateway G1100 router for my Verizon 50/50 package. I have been having problems from the get go. I have exchanged 2 routers so far and I am on my third router.

Here is my setup

I have a Laptop, Cisco IP Phone, ObiHai OBi200 VoIP Telephone Adapter adaptor connected via Ethernet port.

I have several tablets, smart phone and Rokus connecting to Router via WiFi.

Here is the problem

• I can’t get any of my wired devices to connect to the router via any of the four yellow Ethernet ports on the back of the unit.
  • I am not able to connect via 2G/5G wireless connections.
  • I can only connect to this router using the Guest Network wirelessly.
  • Hooking up my PC to the router with an Ethernet cable gets me no connection, not even to the router itself at 192.168.1.1 (or myfiosgateway.com).
  • The link lights on the back light up.

Here is what I have done so far

1. I have got 2 routers so far with the same issue and they have been replaced by Verizon without any success.
  2. I press and hold the reset button for 10-15 seconds to factory reset the router. Then it works for an hour or so and then I lose the connection again.
  3. I have tried to have Verizon Support reset it remotely. Then it works for an hour or so and then I lose the connection again.
  4. I have tried renaming the default SSID and changing the password for the 2G and 5G. It hasn't helped.
  5. I have gone through other threads similar to this and their situations seem to be different. I am scared to see the results if I google "Verizon Quantum Gateway dropping connection". There are so many people who have had this issue from 2015/2015. I am surprised it continued in 2016 also.
  6. I have changed channels in the 2G/5G WiFi channels and that also leads to dropped connections after sometime.
  7. I have completely switched off 5G and kept only 2G and that also leads to dropped connections after sometime.

Workarounds

1. I have found the setting up the guest network works and thats the only thing I am able to use now.
  2. By trial and error, I found that whenever I switch on the Cisco IP Phone then the wired ethernet connection work. As long as I have the Cisco IP Phone switched on, the wired connection works. If I switch it off, then the Wired Connection stops working. I don't usually have Cisco IP Phone switched on all the time, so I am unable to use that workaround all the time.
  3. The only suggestion Verizon support provided is for me to switch to a different model (earlier model than G1100).

Things not tried yet

1. Replacing ONT Box
  2. Replacing Co-Ax Jacks or Splitter
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Router G1100 Wired Connections and 2G/5G WiFi Connectivity are not working
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Disconnect -- not just power off -- everything from the router.  Connect the coax from the ONT to your router.  Plug in the router, wait until it finishes booting, connect ONLY the PC with an ethernet cable directly to the router.

You should have a single coax connection into the router (your FiOS connection is coax isn't it), and a single connection from the PC to the router.  No other devices cabled or powered on.

Report your results.

Do you live in a single family house or a multi-unit apartment?  If in a house, is it possible to directly cable from the ONT to the router temporarily?   If you try this, also report the results.

Looking to minimize variables to identify the source of your issue.

Re: Verizon Router G1100 Wired Connections and 2G/5G WiFi Connectivity are not working
DaytonStar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi  lasagna

Thanks for your response.

I followed your instructions and found the following. I was running a PING command to 8.8.8.8 in a batch file every 30 seconds to check connectivity via the router throughout the below exercise.

1. When I have only the Laptop connected with Ethernet cable and nothing else connected, it works fine without any issues.

2. When I connect my ObiHai VoIP Telephone Adapter next, it continued to work. This was my second connection.

3. When I connect my Cisco IP Phone, it continued to work.

4. But when I switched off the Cisco IP Phone, it stopped working again.

From the above, I concluded that

• If I just have only the Laptop and ObiHai VoIP Telephone Adapter connected, there are no conflicts.
  • When the Cisco IP phone is connected, it is doing something and when it is switched off, the router connectivity is affected.

Regarding the other recommendation, I live in a single family house. I haven't visited the ONT before. I don't even know where it is. I can try it, if you can give me some pointers about it.  

TIA.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you tell us which model of Cisco IP phone you have? They have quite a few models and vary pretty widely in what they are capable of.

The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) is where the fiber from Verizon is terminated (plugged in). It is a box that may either be inside or outside your home. What model you have is at least partially based on when your home was wired for FiOS and where they were able to mount the ONT (e.g., in the garage versus completely outside in the elements). The ones mounted outside are pretty large and look like a TV cable box. The ones mounted inside can be anything from a little box that would set on a desk easily to ones that are pretty large. I think all the image in this Google search for pictures of verizon fios ONT models is a good range of what's there.

Given that you were able to get a laptop wired directly to the router to work, you may not need to cable the router to the ONT directly. If it's easy to do, it can rule out odd coax runs and device. It sounds like the Cisco IP phone is the first thing to look into. I'm wondering if it's doing some odd DHCP or DNS serving and colliding with the router?

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are there two ethernet connections on the phone?   If so, plug the ethernet cable into the other connection (you'll need to start over with everything working first) and let me know what happens.   As Capricorn1 is indicating, it sounds like the Cisco phone may be running a DHCP server / DNS server that's misdirecting traffic.

Also, open a "cmd" window on the laptop and run the command:  ipconfig /all

Do this BEFORE you connect the phone with everything working.  Do it AFTER connecting the phone with everything working.  Do it AFTER turning the phone off and everything STOPS working.    Need to compare the state and settings -- particularly of the ethernet interface -- at each stage.

DaytonStar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi lasgna and Capricorn1

Thanks for your response.

Cisco Phone Model : Cisco IP Phone 7962

As recommended by lasagna, I did the following.

I disconnected everything, powered off, waited for 10 minutes and started from the beginning. 

I ran ipconfig in all steps. This section Common to all the outputs. It did NOT change when I went through each step. I compared all the output using a line compare utility. I didn't see anything change as I went through the steps.

Observation

The moment Cisco Phone is plugged into the router (not even powered on yet), Wired connectivity and the 2G and 5G WIFI connectivity stops working.

Few seconds (almost immediately) after I unplug the ethernet cable going to the Cisco Phone, the Wired connectivity and 2G/5G WIFI connectivity comes back.

Common to all steps

==============================================================================
Network Information for Compartment 1 (ACTIVE)
==============================================================================

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XYZ
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : XYZ.ABCcom
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : ***************************
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : fios-router.home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : *********************

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : fios-router.home

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : ***********************

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

A. Connected Laptop and ObiHai VOIP Adaptor only

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.162(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 14, 2016 10:35:42 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 15, 2016 10:35:42 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

B. Connected Laptop and ObiHai VOIP Adaptor ; Plugged in the Ethernet Cable for Cisco IP Phone. Did Not Power on the Cisco IP Phone yet.

C. Connected Laptop and ObiHai VOIP Adaptor ; Plugged in the Ethernet Cable for Cisco IP Phone. Powered on the Cisco IP Phone and the immediate output.

D. Connected Laptop and ObiHai VOIP Adaptor ; Plugged in the Ethernet Cable for Cisco IP Phone. Powered on the Cisco IP Phone and the final output after the phone registered and was ready.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any way on phone to check what its IP address is when plugged in?

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Pondering two things ...

1. Wonder if the phone is somehow statically IP'd and conflicting with the router.   With the phone powered off and disconnected, can you log into the router and change the local LAN configuration such that the router is assigned to another subnet and IP (for example, move router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.200) -- note that I purposely changed both the subnet and the station octet.   You will likely need to reboot everything (or DHCP release/renew to move to the new network once you do this).   Once done, see if the phone behaves differently.  

2. I had a very strange issue once with a PS/3 and an Aruba Wireless access point from my employer (search PS/3 and Arube Wireless wireless offline).  Plugging in the adapter would knock the PS/3 offline (wired and wireless).   Some kind of configuraiton conflict that certain firmware on the PS/3 didn't like.   Wondering if this might be similar -- if so, you'd likely need someone to open a call with their Cisco TAC to investigate.

DaytonStar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi

I checked on the Verizon Router Admin Page. Here is what it says.

IPv4 Address: Subnet Mask:   Connection: Network Connection: Lease Type: Port Forwarding Services:

IPv4 Address                : 192.168.1.12
Subnet Mask                : 255.255.255.0
Connection                   : Ethernet
Network Connection  : Bridge
Lease Type                  : Dynamic
Port Forwarding Services: None

On the Cisco Phone - When I go to Network Configuration menu, I see the following.

• IPv4 configuration
    • DHCP : Enabled
    • IP Address : 10.84.114.66
    • Subnet Mask : 255.255.252.0
    • Default Router 1 : 10.84.112.1
  • IPv6 configuration
    • DHCPv6 : Enabled
    • IP Address : <Blank>
    • Subnet Mask : 255.255.252.0
    • Default Router 1 : <Blank>
  • VPN : Connected

I want to reiterate something here. The network connectivity problems start the moment I connect the network cable (even if the phone is actually completely powered off). Why is the router so sensitive to the 3rd connection. When I have only 2 connections (Laptop and OBiHai), I have no issues. 

Is that due to some hardware limitation on the router.

I see a spare WHITE port called WAN. Can I plug in my Cisco IP Phone into that port ?

0 Likes
DaytonStar
Enthusiast - Level 2

1. Wonder if the phone is somehow statically IP'd and conflicting with the router.  

>> Please see my response to another member above. Is there a way to find out whether the IP is indeed Static. It is quite possible, because my employeer preconfigured the phone and gave it to me.

With the phone powered off and disconnected, can you log into the router and change the local LAN configuration such that the router is assigned to another subnet and IP (for example, move router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.200) -- note that I purposely changed both the subnet and the station octet.  

>> Can you please tell me how do I do this.

You will likely need to reboot everything (or DHCP release/renew to move to the new network once you do this).   Once done, see if the phone behaves differently.  

>> How do I do DHCP release/renew ?

My other Observation.

Once the Cisco IP Phone has been plugged in and powered on, I lose connectivity when it is switched off. But If I disconnect the ethernet cable, then I get the connectivity back. How does that work. When I disconnect something, does the router know to release some lock or something like it ?

For now, I am disconnecting the ethernet cable everytime I power off the Cisco Phone and it is a pain. I would love to get to the bottom of this mystery.

0 Likes