Verizon Router Password Change
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

For those who were lamenting the change which Verizon implemented which forced a password change on all routers which were still using a default password (and then sent out an email telling you how to determine the new password).   Here's an article which backs up why they did it:

http://blogs.forbes.com/firewall/2010/07/13/millions-of-home-routers-vulnerable-to-web-hack/

Re: Verizon Router Password Change
prisaz
Legend

@lasagna wrote:

For those who were lamenting the change which Verizon implemented which forced a password change on all routers which were still using a default password (and then sent out an email telling you how to determine the new password).   Here's an article which backs up why they did it:

http://blogs.forbes.com/firewall/2010/07/13/millions-of-home-routers-vulnerable-to-web-hack/

The link takes me to a blank page that ends in a java script error. Both IE and FF.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Weird ... try just going to the main Forbe's site (blogs.forbes.com) and searching for "home routers vulnerable to hack".   A similar story is available from a number of other news sources.   It talks about the exposure which was to be discussed in depth at the BlackHat security conference at the end of July.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@prisaz wrote:

@lasagna wrote:

The link takes me to a blank page that ends in a java script error. Both IE and FF.

Link works just fine for me. Gotta be a "user error" Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah yes ... the old problem between the keyboard and chair issue.   Smiley Very Happy 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

No it is the old problem with not wanting to watch the adds. If you click on the go to site link at the top of the page, it will not let you view the article. Errr.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@prisaz wrote:

No it is the old problem with not wanting to watch the adds. If you click on the go to site link at the top of the page, it will not let you view the article. Errr.

I guess I don't understand. I click on the link included in the original post in this thread and it takes me DIRECTLY to the article. Now I am using Adblock Plus with Firefox, and I can see that Adblock Plus is blocking a bunch of ads on the Forbes page. So I turned Adblock Plus off, and then I get a page with a Flash object on it, not displaying the article, but right at the top of that page is a link that says it will take me to the article, and it did. So even with Adblock Off I can get to the article without any problem, just one extra click to get past the fluff.

Are you using Noscript maybe? Or some other add-on? Could that be blocking your access?

And of course that is one of the many reasons I use Adblock Plus Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

prisaz
Legend

@Justin wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

I guess I don't understand. I click on the link included in the original post in this thread and it takes me DIRECTLY to the article. Now I am using Adblock Plus with Firefox, and I can see that Adblock Plus is blocking a bunch of ads on the Forbes page. So I turned Adblock Plus off, and then I get a page with a Flash object on it, not displaying the article, but right at the top of that page is a link that says it will take me to the article, and it did. So even with Adblock Off I can get to the article without any problem, just one extra click to get past the fluff.

Are you using Noscript maybe? Or some other add-on? Could that be blocking your access?

And of course that is one of the many reasons I use Adblock Plus Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

We are way off topic, but I will look. Thanks for the adblock sugestion. If I watch the add the page would open. Strange, but that's me.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@prisaz wrote:

It's because it pop up a video before allowing access to the site, first time only, gues your add blocker doesn't allow that..  Must restrict you somewhat getting to many news articles as they all typically do that.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Yeah, I guess we are off topic, but what the heck.....

Fresh boot today, here is my most recent experience (and keeping in mind that I am running Firefox with the Adblock Plus and Flashblock add-ons):

1) Disabled Adblock Plus

2) Click on Forbes link in thread

3) Screen displayed with Flash object (blocked because of Flashblock)

4) Click on link at top of page, taken directly to article

5) Closed forbes tab

6) Click on Forbes link in thread

7) Goes directly to article this time

So it really does seem to be a first-time issue as viafax said. But it is a kinda weird scenario. But I don't think it is a Verizon problem.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes