Verizon Router
Emad

I have 2 verizon routers (same model). One is being used for my service and is working fine. I want to add the second one as a switch. I need to know how to change the IP address of this router and disable the DHCP option.

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Router
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

My Network -> Network Connections

Click on the little Window with a pencil next to the line labelled "Network (Home/Office)"

Then click "Settings"

Everything you want to change is here. 

Note: If you plan to hook the two together using the MoCA (cable) interfaces, you will need to disable the Broadband interface on the second router (My Network -> Network Connections, select the "Broadband (Coax)" interface using the edit button and disable it -- do the same for Broadband (Ethernet) if it's enabled).

Note also: The Ethernet "WAN" port in this scenario is inoperable on the second router.

With that said, I would probably do something like this only if I needed quick temporary fix to add some ports or if I specifically needed to use the MoCA as a bridge between two floors.  Otherwise, I'd spend a few dollars (you can get  a small 5 port switch for less than $15 online if you shop around) which will give you a lot less grief in the long run.

Re: Verizon Router
Emad

Thanks for your help. You said it is better to buy a switch, correct but the reason I want to use the second Verizon router is because it has wireless signal. The only reason is to get another wireless network through the house. The first Verizon router is in the basement and feeds basement and the second floor. I will try your instructions and see if it works. Thanks again.

0 Likes