Verizon Router
ckour

A few months ago ordered new router as suggested by Verizon (Verizon MI424WR rev. I Router (orange stripe)).  The following happens ALL THE TIME with wired connection:  when i fiorst access internet or after not accessing for a while, i get message that there is no internet connection (icon in lower right of screen indicates same).   Sometimes after 30 seconds or so, the website will appear, sometimes i need to refresh.  Does the router automaically disconnect from internet after being dormant?  This NEVER happened with old router.  Quite annnoying to have to wait for a connection.  Can i get old router back from Verizon?  

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Router
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

Does this happen on all devices that are wired to the router, or just one device? Would it be possible to see if a different computer behaves the same way when plugged back into the router after an extended period of time? Also, are wireless clients unaffected by this issue? 

0 Likes
ckour

Thanks for the reply.  There seems to be no issue with wireless connections and not possible to connect another wired device.  This problem ONLY happened IMMEDIATELY after hooking up new router from Verizon.  Happens with all browsers (IE, Chrome, and FF).  Also, email may send a cannot connect response.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@ckour wrote:

A few months ago ordered new router as suggested by Verizon (Verizon MI424WR rev. I Router (orange stripe)).  The following happens ALL THE TIME with wired connection:  when i fiorst access internet or after not accessing for a while, i get message that there is no internet connection (icon in lower right of screen indicates same).   Sometimes after 30 seconds or so, the website will appear, sometimes i need to refresh.  Does the router automaically disconnect from internet after being dormant?  This NEVER happened with old router.  Quite annnoying to have to wait for a connection.  Can i get old router back from Verizon?  

I see you have other replies but let me chime in.

normally a router will Time out within the router settings if the DNS is refreshing when it shouldn't. I good way to test the theory is to either push the reset button on your router to clear all the stored settings. It will revert to factory specs.

now the router should be setting up DNS from Fios to get a connection to the internet. After this is achieved you can test the connection with a wired Ethernet cable from your laptop or computer to the LAN ports on the router. (Not the yellow wan port) see if the situation has corrected itself.

now in not so rare cases the router itself can be a dud. If the LAN ports are not connecting correctly I would test the laptop connection in each available port. One or all may be a dud. In that case you need a replacement router.

now another way to get the router to function is to login with name and password and set the QOS off. It is not really necessary for most people. 

In your owners manual you could also select a dedicated IP address for your device.

again it should not be necessary.

you state the wifi is working so I am going to assume it is one or all of your LAN ports that are defunct. If you have use of another computer it would be nice to see if it also disconnects as to rule out a bad computer connection or faulty cable.

another thing to try is a better RJ-45 cable try a CAT6 cable they are not that expensive.

0 Likes