Verizon Throttling FiOS speed?
gib978

Hello,

I think Verizon is throttling my FiOS speed, what can I do about it?

I have 25/25. I travel a lot for work and when I come home after being gone for a while (sometimes 7 days) I'll be getting about 1/1. I have tried restarting and even factory resetting my router, removing all other devices from my network (confirmed in router panel) etc to no avail. Every time I contact Verizon about it they "run a command" which magically puts my back at 25/25 Mbps - sometimes I even hit 26/26 - after being at 1/1 just 30 seconds prior... It is making me want to switch providers. I rarely ever stream anything (sometimes YouTube), mostly just game. Any suggestions?

I had Verizon at a previous residence (even a lower plan at 15/5) and never had a single issue despite having way more devices and activity.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Throttling FiOS speed?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do they have you run a command or they do it themselves?

When you are having issues, use a compytre that is connected via ethernet to your router.

Go to speedtest.verizon.net

Run the test to see what speed you are getting.

If you are getting 25/25, then the problem is not your connection to Verizon network.

Are your problems with wired or wireless?

If wireless, could be interference or something else espeicaly if wired test is clean.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you per chance shutdown your router or ONT when you are away?

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Throttling means something specific.  THIS THEY ARE NOT DOING..

Knowing allowing certain links and servers to overload.  This they have doen a few times when they had disputes with some of the other internet companies.

Being slow to respond when some of their internal structure needs to be corrected, less often but yes in some areas of the country.

And of course in California, Florida, and Texas they are in the midst of turning things over to Frontier.  And Frontier doesn't get Verizon's network backbone so a new series of problems will statt happening to us as we become Frontier customers.  Reportedly already true in Texas.  Perhaps also true in California.  I fear my turn in Florida next.

0 Likes