Verizon Triple Play service discontinued and due to inability to match pricing
Biggworm1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Very sad to say I canceled my triple play service with Verizon. I didn't want to, but I got a better deal through Xfinity. My contract is up and I just wanted to go with internet only, but they want $65/mo for 75/75. Xfinity is giving me 100/whatever it is upstream,for $45.I know the upload speed isn't even comparable.

I've been with Fios for about 10 years and its a shame that they couldn't match or exceed what Xfinity is offering me. They didn't even try.

I'm not a fan of Xfinity but money talks right now. I'm scheduled to be shut off next Saturday.  Hopefully someone calls me to offer a better deal by then. It'll be a sad day when they shut it off. Maybe I'll be back in a few years to get a better deal. Btw, a friend of mine in the same city here (Pittsburgh)  is getting 150/150 for $60 right now, internet only. I don't know why ppl in the same city who have the same service get quoted such different prices. He's been a customer for a few years too. Maybe I should have him call for me...

Thanks anyways Fios, I'll still be telling ppl that Fios is the best, even though I'll be with Xfinity.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Triple Play service discontinued and due to inability to match pricing
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

New customers always get better deals than existing customers.

When you xfinity contract is up, don't be surprised if the price goes up.

Re: Verizon Triple Play service discontinued and due to inability to match pricing
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

+1. 

The rule of thumb with any company is to take the offered "New Customer" price, and add $30-40 to cover all the fees and surcharges they will tack onto the new customer price. Then, also do research on the retail pricing which is usually somewhere around 50% more from the new customer pricing.

In my area, both Charter Cable and Verizon FiOS appear to cost the same. Doing the math, FiOS often works out much cheaper for more of a service (unless you value things like the CableWiFi hotspots or IPv6) especially after the retail rates are done. An example in my market...

Charter sells the fastest Internet package of 50Mbps/5Mbps to new customers for $65/m, no contract. After the first year, the price goes up to $90/m. After the second year, the price goes to the retail rates of $110/m. If you choose to not buy your own modem, Charter will take on $10/m extra to your bill. Also, if you decide to pay for the "Standard" speed of 15Mbps/1Mbps or less, instead of 50Mbps/5Mbps, and you want to use an all-in-one modem with Wi-Fi that they rent to you, they will take an additional $5/m onto the bill for just turning on the Wi-Fi.

FiOS in my area, has the slowest package of 50Mbps/50Mbps for $60/m flat (Same cost as 15/1 from Charter retail) on the retail rates, with no contract. There's a router rental fee, but for an Internet-only desiring customer like me, I would be bringing my own router and won't have to rent. I find it silly to even go with Charter cable in the FiOS areas around here. Even after the new customer promotions run out. Now if you're in a Charter vs. Verizon DSL area... forget the DSL. Go get Charter.

Sambucabean

Any better service out there???  I live in Long Island NY.  It sucks that they say they had to increase everyones bill for taxes by $10.00.  Let me see if Verizon has approx 1 million of customers, therefore the increase gave them $10,000,000.00.  Wonder who got raises in upper management??  Then there are people like us struggling to stay afloat  and $10 increase to me is $120.00 per year which could pay for an electric bill or gas in my car for a month.  Guess they don't give a crap about their customers.  I have had it with Verizon Fios.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If it is truly labelled as taxes, that means they are collecting for someone who has imposed taxes on their services.

did state, city or county impose new taxes?

0 Likes
Orka
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would say quite opposite. I was Xfinity customer for 7 years. The service bad, support line even worse. 2 years ago I moved to area where I had a chance to make a choice between Comcast and Verizon. I've decided to try Fios 50/50 with better price then Xfinity 25mbps. I have been never out of internet service since then in comparison to every day hiccups from Comcast. So, dude, survive for a couple of years with Comcast and return back to Verizon.