Verizon Westell 9100 Em router - Citrix Connection
rhaniyur
Enthusiast - Level 2

My work requires that I make connection using Citrix. It appears that my Westell router configures the firewall each day and renders me being not able to connect to my work each morning. I have to do a hard reset each morning and only then I can connect. I tried DMZ host for my computer and that does not help. Can anyone help?.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Westell 9100 Em router - Citrix Connection
Hubrisnxs
Legend

hi, make sure your citrix client is using a static IP address.   and then try to set up port triggering instead of port forwarding.  

It's not normal that it forgets the port forward entries, so you may even want to take it into a verizon store and have it replaced, but if it's a matter of configuring it properly, I would use the www.simpleportforwarding.com tool and have it do port triggering for that ip address.   it may work better than what you're doing now. 

the static ip is important though.   without it, you'll be running into scenario's like you described here. 

Also make sure those ports are forwarded in your windows firewall and/or your firewall in general (norton, mcafee, kaspersky trend micro, avg etc....) 

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@rhaniyur wrote:

It appears that my Westell router configures the firewall each day

Not sure I understand what you mean by that.  The router does not make changes to the firewall configuration by itself on a daily basis.

Are you sure your computer is retaining the same IP address?

As Hubrisnxs pointed out, it's best if the computer has a static IP address, or a DHCP reservation so that it keeps the same IP address so the port forward rule points to the same place.  The default DHCP lease for LAN side devices is 1 day (1440 minutes).

Can you post screen shots of your port forwarding rules before and after these supposed changes?

rhaniyur
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can I set the DHCP Settings for Network (Home/Office) Lease Time in Minutes to max (i.e 71582788)?

Will this render the IP address for my computer to not expire for a very long time?

thanks..

0 Likes
rhaniyur
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried port triggering as well TCP & UDP both Any to Any and could not connect using Citirx. But when I did a hard reset it connected. What I have done now is to extend lease time in DHCP setting for my network lease time in minutes to 71582788

Will this have render the IP lease not to expire in a long time?

0 Likes
rhaniyur
Enthusiast - Level 2

What ever I did , did not work... had to reset the router to begin my day..

Spoiler

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

try going into the router, and setting that ip as a static one.

I believe when you are logged in, it should be under advanced and then IP Address Distribution   

Also, have you tried a new router? 

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Setting the lease time to 0 is usually the maximum.  Which is usually 24 hours. In a home situation this is usually ok since the device will usually get the same IP back again when it re-leases (pun intended).

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

instead of rebooting the router, or resetting it, have you tried just releasing and renewing your IP Address instead?

if you find that releasing and renewing your ip address fixes it, without rebooting the router, then it may be your tcpip stack or winsock library.

try the below and see if that is enough to restore your connection.   

Fix Your Connection via the Command Line

To repair your Internet connection using the command line, do the following:

1. Press WINKEY+R, type cmd and press Enterreleaserenew02 Fix Internet Connection with Release Renew
  2. When the Command Line comes up, type ipconfig /release releaserenew03 Fix Internet Connection with Release Renew
  3. Now type ipconfig /renew releaserenew04 Fix Internet Connection with Release Renew
  4. Wait a few moments and try your internet again. Hopefully this fixes your problem. If not, at least you learned another troubleshooting tip.

Fix Your Connection with a Batch File

If you not you want to use the command line to attempt to fix the Internet, you can download a simple batch file, which I prepared, that’s will run the commands mentioned above automatically.

Simply download the zip file below, extract it, and run the.bat file. Now try your Internet connection and hopefully it works for you.

download64 Fix Internet Connection with Release RenewDownload Release Renew Batch File

0 Likes
rhaniyur
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I tried a new router shipped by Verizon.

I looked at the security log and seems to the router changes configuration each morning.

I can get Internet and that is not the problem. What happens is I have Citrix client that I have to double click to connect to my work server and that is whare the issue is. I have company provided Juniper firewall h/w and a Thin client h/w behing the verizon router.

Also when the router re-configs itself I can see a dozen entries in Port Forwarding view that is called "Verizon Fios Service".

I am aware of the ipcongfig /release and /renew and will try it again in the morning when I will be unable to connect again thr Citirx

0 Likes