Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

Verizon Wi-FI and Apple Ipad

SOLVED
swanscn
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Verizon Wi-FI and Apple Ipad

Message 1 of 5
(5,016 Views)

After searching the forums and not finding this question, I thought I would ask.

Can I use a IPAD with Verizon WI-FI hotspots? From what I can see there is no WI-FI connect software for anything other than Windows, so I am thinking I can not. Is this correct?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jumpin68ny
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: Verizon Wi-FI and Apple Ipad

Message 2 of 5
(5,009 Views)

The answer is no.  This was pulled from http://www.verizon.com/wifi

• Verizon Wi-Fi is not available for PDAs, phones, desktop PCs or Macs.
  • Most late-model laptops have wireless capability, but if yours doesn't, you'll need to buy a wireless card.
  • View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
    jumpin68ny
    Gold Contributor VII
    Gold Contributor VII

Message 2 of 5
    (5,010 Views)

The answer is no.  This was pulled from http://www.verizon.com/wifi

• Verizon Wi-Fi is not available for PDAs, phones, desktop PCs or Macs.
  • Most late-model laptops have wireless capability, but if yours doesn't, you'll need to buy a wireless card.
  • View solution in original post

swanscn
    Copper Contributor
    Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 5
    (4,989 Views)

Thanks, that is what I thought. Interesting that Mac's are not supported but since I do not have a Mac no worries for me.

mac3
    Copper Contributor
    Copper Contributor

Message 4 of 5
    (1,593 Views)

It is pretty lame on Verizon's part. Like many corporations, decisions are based on the assumption that customers are cows that need to be milked - I don't meet the "system requirements" for the wifi connect shim that is required for hot spot connectivity - so I will not be using it. 

Even if I did, I would choose not use "wifi connect" - as smells way to much like a user private data collection tool.

If indeed it is, it would good if its true nature were exposed - and perhaps prompt mass user outrage and the inevitable congressional inquiries.

Perhaps a Verizon representative share the Verizon party line on what "wifi connect" is for, as it obviously not needed from technical perspective. 

dslr595148
    Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
    Platinum Contributor III

Message 5 of 5
    (1,574 Views)

As heard/spotted in http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/WiFi-Connect-Utility-for-Mac/m-p/400197#M26754

I'm not sure when this happened or if it's always been true, but you can use Verizon Wi-Fi with other devices now. See http://wyang0.blogspot.com/2012/01/verizon-wi-fi-f​or-all-devices-mac-linux.html

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
    Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
    Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
    Categories:
    Verizon Troubleshooters
    Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.