Switch Account

Verizon Wireless N router - worth the $s??

Verizon Wireless N router - worth the $s??

SOLVED
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 1 of 10
(2,524 Views)

Been dealing with very slow wired up/dnld speeds with my actiontec gen2 modem....Called cust support.....The universal answer: reset ONT, reset router....send out gen 3 router to replace my existing one....'the gen 3 built to be faster'....

Then he proceeds to tell me that gen 3 is NOT wireless-N.....for that, I can buy the latest verizon N router for $99...

So, I am wondering if the wireless N is worth me spending the $s???

Some negatives: it is only single band, simplex communication, and if it dies, I am on the hook to replace it.

Some pros: it is a verizon supported config (no finger pointing).

Am interested in hearing from ppl who actually have the router and what their experience is.

Alternatives with mainstream router products, and DD-WRT???? comments welcome

-Thanks

John

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Message 2 of 10
(2,488 Views)

@three_jeeps wrote:

send out gen 3 router to replace my existing one....

Then he proceeds to tell me that gen 3 is NOT wireless-N.....for that, I can buy the latest verizon N router for $99... 

The GEN3 router they sent you is exactly the one they sell for $99.  The Actiontec MI424-WR rev. I.

The CSR was trying to rip you off by selling you the same router.

As you discovered, the rev. I is 2.4 Ghz only. A 2.4 Ghz router is limited to about 20/20.  If you're interested in faster speeds, I would go with a dual band router or Wireless Access Point (WAP).  A 5 Ghz capable router/WAP will give you better speeds. Generally at least double a 2.4 Ghz router, but your devices have to be 5 Ghz capable to also take advantage of that.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV
Message 3 of 10
(2,472 Views)

@Anti-Phish wrote:
 A 2.4 Ghz router is limited to about 20/20. 

I have to disagree with that part of your comment.  For whatever it's worth, this is a speedtest I just ran with a MacBook Pro connected via wifi to my Actiontec Rev l router:

wifi speedtest.jpg

Highlighted
Gold Contributor II
Gold Contributor II
Message 4 of 10
(2,464 Views)

I have the MI424-WR rev. I router and my wireless speed is typically around 80Mbps when my notebook is in the same room as the router.  In the living room, with 2 walls between, wireless speed is typically around 50-55Mbps.   (75/35 plan)

Keep in mind that when moving away from the router, your computer's wireless card is also a big factor in WIFI performance.  Stats above are for a new WIN8 high performance notebook.  I have an older notebook that only gets 40-45 Mbps.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Message 5 of 10
(2,408 Views)

Sorry.  I was not clear.  I meant to say a router operating in 802.11g mode.  I was not refering to 802.11n mode.

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 6 of 10
(2,329 Views)

Well it turns out they sent the Actiontec MI424-WR rev. I.  So that is a plus.

Now my question is:

If I save the Gen 2 router settings in a file, will the MI424-WR rev. I be able to import and use those settings? 

The rep was not able to definitively answer this.....

I would hope, as my router configuration is extensively user configured.

If not, any suggestions on how to efficiently transfer the settings?

TY

-John

Highlighted
Gold Contributor II
Gold Contributor II
Message 7 of 10
(2,324 Views)

@three_jeeps wrote:

Well it turns out they sent the Actiontec MI424-WR rev. I.  So that is a plus.

Now my question is:

If I save the Gen 2 router settings in a file, will the MI424-WR rev. I be able to import and use those settings? 

The rep was not able to definitively answer this.....

I would hope, as my router configuration is extensively user configured.

If not, any suggestions on how to efficiently transfer the settings?

TY

-John

In the MI424WR Rev I,  you can save save your configuration file and also load a saved configuration file.   I don't know it the configuration file of your current router is compatible with the Rev I.   But it won't hurt to try it.  If things don't work, you can always do a reset, and then configure it manually.   Just be sure to note where the file is saved so you won't have to hunt for it.

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 8 of 10
(2,315 Views)

Thanks, I planned on doing exactly what you said....but am trying to avoid spending the time to do the config manually especially since the config menus are really awakward to use - IMHO....

I'll post a followup on the config file compatability.

Thanks

J

Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Message 9 of 10
(2,290 Views)

@three_jeeps wrote:

Answered in your other thread.  No, it is not possible.

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 10 of 10
(2,187 Views)

I verified that a saved config file from a rev F cannot be imported by a rev I modem.  Tried it and the rev I modem complained that it can't read the file.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.