Verizon adapter for wired PC
SIVAD

Let me start with I have zero tech knowledge.

The Wi-Fi signal is both 2.4 GHz (great range, older devices) and 5 GHz. There are 4 Ethernet ports for wired connections. I have the desktop in one of the ports  right now.

Should I get a
Verizon/Actiontec WCB6200Q extender for the wired desktop computer in another room?

I'm trying to avoid running the wired connection from the living where the router is to the space down the hall room.
Any suggestion are helpful. But I'm not a techy person.
Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon adapter for wired PC
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you want a wired connection in a specific room, you have several options:

• Install an Ethernet cable from the router to the room in question. 
    This is the best option, as it provides speeds up to 1Gbps and doesn't require any additional equipment.
  • Install a Verizon extender.
    This is the next best option if you have an active coax port near the router and the desired location.  The extender works by establishing a link to the router over coax using the MoCA system.  Speeds are limited to 400Mbps or so depending on your router model.
    If you don't have coax available, it would need to be installed.  At that point, might as well install Ethernet.
    Note Verizon sells extenders with and without WiFi.  If there is no need for WiFi at the remote location, get the cheaper Ethernet only adapter.
  • Use a non-Verizon power line or phone line extension system.
    This is the least desirable option.  Depending on technology and how your home is wired, these approaches will have varied results in speed and reliability.

Note that 2.4GHz WiFi is perfectly fine to use.  While it's been around longer than 5GHz and many older devices only support 2.4Ghz, it can be plenty fast and has better range than 5GHz.  If the device in question is getting good signal and speed over 2.4GHz, I suggest you keep using it.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do not know for sure what I would do.

Here is my two cents.

It would help for a wired connection there is more than one type.

Fiber - This is more common for LAN use in business(es).

Ethernet

---

Do not want to use fiber or ethernet as that means adding cable(s), no problem.

---

Moca - standing for using existing TV wire as a network.

HomePna - standing for using existing phone wire as a network.

HomePlug - standing for using existing power line wire as a network.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you want a wired connection in a specific room, you have several options:

• Install an Ethernet cable from the router to the room in question. 
    This is the best option, as it provides speeds up to 1Gbps and doesn't require any additional equipment.
  • Install a Verizon extender.
    This is the next best option if you have an active coax port near the router and the desired location.  The extender works by establishing a link to the router over coax using the MoCA system.  Speeds are limited to 400Mbps or so depending on your router model.
    If you don't have coax available, it would need to be installed.  At that point, might as well install Ethernet.
    Note Verizon sells extenders with and without WiFi.  If there is no need for WiFi at the remote location, get the cheaper Ethernet only adapter.
  • Use a non-Verizon power line or phone line extension system.
    This is the least desirable option.  Depending on technology and how your home is wired, these approaches will have varied results in speed and reliability.

Note that 2.4GHz WiFi is perfectly fine to use.  While it's been around longer than 5GHz and many older devices only support 2.4Ghz, it can be plenty fast and has better range than 5GHz.  If the device in question is getting good signal and speed over 2.4GHz, I suggest you keep using it.