Verizon appears to be blocking some flash content from certain websites. How? Why?
John512

I am network geek and programmer, using Verizon FIOS for internet connectivity.

One site I visit that uses Flash to display content is failing to display all content, but only when I go through Verizon FIOS. When I use T-Mobiled Hot Spot, there are zero issues. And when I use a VPN through FIOS, there are zero issues.

But, when I use Verizon FIOS, the content is presented as all black.

Could Verizon really be blocking certain flash constructs or mobile displays that are being presented as non-mobile, or anything at this level?

Whenever I go around Verizon, this site works, but using Verizon, it fails.

Does anyone have any clues about this kind of connection issue?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon appears to be blocking some flash content from certain websites. How? Why?
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

To me it doesn't sound like Flash is not working rather it just might be able to connect or might be having some other weird issue.

Nonetheless without knowing what site you are having issues with the only thing I can think of is that maybe it's just your IP address that is having an issue.

It might serve to have Verizon maybe break your lease and renew you with a new IP address. (Or you can try yourself by unplugging your router, than your ONT, plugging the ONT back in, then the router. (it is not guaranteed that this will work but it has for me in the past.))

View solution in original post

Re: Verizon appears to be blocking some flash content from certain websites. How? Why?
jonjones1
Legend

A browser is what allows the use of Adobe flash. I know flash is going to be stopped in 2020. However in certain sites i use via the web it just will not engage. On my cell phone flash works. So it maybe verizon is not the place to complain to.

John512

Yes, I agree. Same browser, same bandwidth, just using a VPN, and the suspect flash works just fine.

Take off the VPN, through Verizon, and it fails.

Use T-Mobile, it works.

Use T-Mobile with VPN and it works.

Tried with multiple browsers, all have the same effect --

Flash works everywhere, except this one site.

But with VPN it works fine.

What could Verizon be doing? As a programmer and techie, it is hard

for me to imagine things other than packet level filtering.

Other ideas?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you list some sites?

I can't think of a reason that Verizon would block only flash content.

It would take some pretty intense packet filtering to just block the flash content that comes in over HTTP

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Agree most likely it is not Verizon blocking it.

#1 Is parental contols or filtering turned on in the router?

If you do not know: What is the brand and model of your router?

#2 Check which DNS Server(s) are you using.

The reason that I state this is because for example when using the VPN you might be using a different DNS Server and they do not block the content?

jonjones1
Legend

@John5 wrote:

Yes, I agree. Same browser, same bandwidth, just using a VPN, and the suspect flash works just fine.

Take off the VPN, through Verizon, and it fails.

Use T-Mobile, it works.

Use T-Mobile with VPN and it works.

Tried with multiple browsers, all have the same effect --

Flash works everywhere, except this one site.

But with VPN it works fine.

What could Verizon be doing? As a programmer and techie, it is hard

for me to imagine things other than packet level filtering.

Other ideas?

This may solve your adobe flash issue. If you use Firefox browser, once you get to the page there is a icon on the page, you click on it and select allow flash. This was what i found by messing around with my security cameras. Once I activated it the content played. So as i explained before its not verizon blocking the content.

John512

Thanks for the comments, All.

I am way past the Flash being blocked by the browser.

Again, when I use a VPN or T-Mobile on the exact same software, everything works.

I am using Ubiquiti equipment all around.

One tech at the site suggested I change my MTU settings for the WAN, away from 1500, to 1468. This appears to be done in Ubiquiti equipment via the MSS Clamping, which I set to 1452. I am running POE equipment.

Still, this did not change anything.

I, too, have difficulty thinking its Verizon. Just not sure what else to try ...

I guess I can always use the VPN.

Anything else to try?

--John

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

To me it doesn't sound like Flash is not working rather it just might be able to connect or might be having some other weird issue.

Nonetheless without knowing what site you are having issues with the only thing I can think of is that maybe it's just your IP address that is having an issue.

It might serve to have Verizon maybe break your lease and renew you with a new IP address. (Or you can try yourself by unplugging your router, than your ONT, plugging the ONT back in, then the router. (it is not guaranteed that this will work but it has for me in the past.))