Verizon blocking outbound ports for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP (SSL and non-SSL)??
dsorrentino
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know Verizon was blocking outbount port 25 but now it seems they changed and they are blocking all of these ports:

MAP Port: 143 / 993 (SSL)
POP3 Port: 110 / 995 (SSL)
SMTP Port: 25 / 26 / 2525 / 587 (SSL)

I have my own domain and my entire family uses e-mail on that domain name but sometime over the last week or so, everyone stopped receiving e-mails.  I can send/receive from my cell phone (non-wifi) which tells me the mail server is working fine.  But from within the house, we are unable to reach any of the ports on the mail server.

I've used netcat to attempt to connect to all of the ports above and I don't get a TCP connect on any of them.

Is there any way to get Verizon to re-open the IMAP and the SMTP SSL ports??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon blocking outbound ports for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP (SSL and non-SSL)??
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

By chance, do you have fail2ban installed on that server?

There is no reason for Verizon to be blocking your server from being accessed (I'm on Verizon as well and can access SSH and such). By chance, is everyone accessing the server from the same email client? I know with my own server I've gotten myself banned before from the server's own fail2ban system (meant to keep spammers out) because my email client was accidentily set to sync every 5 seconds. 

You could try and change your WAN Verizon IP and see if you can access it then. You could ask tech support to do that for you, or you can do it yourself from your router. Assuming you have an Actiontec the steps are as follow:

1)  Sign into your Actiontec router's control page at 192.168.1.1  The default userid is admin.  If you haven't changed the password, the default is listed on the label on your router.

2)  Click on My Network > Network Connections > Full Status > Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) > Settings.

3)  Click on DHCP Lease: Release and then immediately turn the router off with it's power switch or unplug it from the a/c outlet.

4)  Wait about 10 minutes and power the router back up.  When it's done booting you will probably have been assigned a new WAN IP address.   If that doesn't work, take the same steps but leave the router powered down longer, possibly overnight.

Source: 

Try the above, and then try to access your server again.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dsorrentino
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, it looks like they are blocking my server completely.  I can't SSH into it either.

How do I get my server's IP address (50.22.11.28) added to the whitelist?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE?  That is intranet and you can control all the ports within the router.

Internet?  First time I've seen anyone posted anything but port 25 being blocked.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

By chance, do you have fail2ban installed on that server?

There is no reason for Verizon to be blocking your server from being accessed (I'm on Verizon as well and can access SSH and such). By chance, is everyone accessing the server from the same email client? I know with my own server I've gotten myself banned before from the server's own fail2ban system (meant to keep spammers out) because my email client was accidentily set to sync every 5 seconds. 

You could try and change your WAN Verizon IP and see if you can access it then. You could ask tech support to do that for you, or you can do it yourself from your router. Assuming you have an Actiontec the steps are as follow:

1)  Sign into your Actiontec router's control page at 192.168.1.1  The default userid is admin.  If you haven't changed the password, the default is listed on the label on your router.

2)  Click on My Network > Network Connections > Full Status > Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax) > Settings.

3)  Click on DHCP Lease: Release and then immediately turn the router off with it's power switch or unplug it from the a/c outlet.

4)  Wait about 10 minutes and power the router back up.  When it's done booting you will probably have been assigned a new WAN IP address.   If that doesn't work, take the same steps but leave the router powered down longer, possibly overnight.

Source: 

Try the above, and then try to access your server again.

0 Likes