Verizon extender speeds
Strangelove8762

So, I was recently upgraded to the near-gigabit internet. Everything connected to the gateway is getting the proper upload/download speeds, but the PC connected to the extender is maxing out at about half of that. Are there any settings that I can change, or is the extender limited by its hardware? To be clear, the extender is an Actiontec WBC6200Q, and the PC is hardwired.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon extender speeds
jonjones1
Legend

@Strangelove8762 wrote:

So, I was recently upgraded to the near-gigabit internet. Everything connected to the gateway is getting the proper upload/download speeds, but the PC connected to the extender is maxing out at about half of that. Are there any settings that I can change, or is the extender limited by its hardware? To be clear, the extender is an Actiontec WBC6200Q, and the PC is hardwired.

Extenders normally receive half the speed if that. In some cases where the devices are new and have faster processors a little more. Just like wifi connections.

its just the way it is for now.

0 Likes
Strangelove8762

I understand typical extenders usually get half the normal speed. However, I wouldn't expect it in this case, with Verizon's extender being directly connected to the coax line.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

WHat model router do you have?

And if you have TV service, what model STBs do you have?

Its possible that older rotuer and/or STBs have older MOCA standard which could be slowing down the network.

0 Likes
mudixon
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've got a similar discussion taking place in a different thread. On a tech support chat today, I found out that Ethernet has to be run to the Extender to get faster speeds. Extender connected via coax will limit you to 150/150. Would have been nice if they had told me that when I upgraded to 1gig service!

I'm waiting to get a technician scheduled to come back to the house for that. I guess they'd connect it directly into one of the two LAN ports (Extender doesn't have a WAN port). Funny thing is, last week when I got nowhere with tech support, the technician said Ethernet couldn't be run to the Extender. So it appears Verizon support is confused. 

Also, I was just told that there is a new firmware update (01.04.00.13, as of a few days ago) for the Router, which should improve speeds as well. I haven't tried that yet (at work currently), but will when I get home.

0 Likes
mudixon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update: I reached a supervisor this evening. He had me test the Ethernet line that normally feeds the Router. Connected it directly into the computer. Got 900/900 speeds. We hard-booted the router, connected Ethernet from router to a computer and got similar speeds. Rebooted Extender, connected Ethernet from extender to computer (same computer and cable), 400/400 speeds. Extender's max speed is in the 400 range. Coax is the issue. Supervisor was clear: running Ethernet to the Verizon Extender from the router won't work. Other phone techs told me the opposite.

The only suggestion for true 1gig (900/900) speeds? Instead of using the Extender, use multiple Gateway routers and have Ethernet run to them. You will then get advertised speeds via Ethernet. WIFI will always be a wildcard, and usually a bit slower. 

0 Likes
KJM11379
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is another discussion about this issue somewhere in DSL reports that I was reading last night.  It seems that the issue is the FIOS Gateway not the extender.  The Extender is bonded MOCA 2.0 which can and will take speeds up to 1Gbps.  The FIOS Gateway is MOCA 2.0 standard not "bonded".  When you connect the extender to COAZ it is only as good as the weakest link in the MOCA network inside your house, which would be the FIOS Gateway running MOCA 2.0 not bonded MOCA 2.0, or even an old splitter that is MOCA 1.1.  There are a couple work arounds I have seen where people report getting 700/700 from the extender after.  One was running ethernet to the extender from the FIOS Gateway and disconnect the COAX from the extender, another was placing a bonded MOCA 2.0 adapter at the FIOS Gateway and re-running the wires so that the FIOS Gateway is now MOCA 2.0 bonded.