Verizon gigabit speed tests are inaccurate!
scrunt

after upgrading to gigabit from 150/150 i had noticed lower speed test results. note these are not verizon speed tests because they are 100% a lie. they do not give you accurate results and there is no reason for a third party speed test will lie about results but there is a reason for verizon to lie! (because they want to sell you the bundle and have you as a customer) please also note if you are going to run a speed test on your own and have gigabit some services/tests only support up to 700mbps so make sure you chose the right one. when i run speed tests on my own (wired connection) i get a wopping 100mbps download over a 70-80mbps upload.. if i run a verizon speed test its going to tell me that i do recieve that 940/880. that is complete and utter garbage. i was recieving better service when i had the 150/150 plan. i understand that the speeds on the gigabit are "UP TO" and not exactly that number at all times but its quite annoying not being able to do what i need to do when i have internet speeds that dont allow it. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: being lied to about gigabit!
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have not found the Vz tests to be inaccurate.  They do tend to perform better than speedtest.net / ookla, etc. but that's due to being "on network" vs thru the open internet.  You are right however about the the Gig service being "up to" vs "guarenteed".   Prior to moving to Gig, I would consisently get 100mb (on my 100/100) or very close to it from various test locations on the internet.   My Gig connection varies from close to the 940/880 numbers at certain times in the evening to about half that early in the evening and certain other "prime" times.

Some things to investigate however:

1. Browser based speed tests on connections running above about 200mb are not reliable (depending on the browser, it can't keep up).  Many speed test sites have an app for testing higher speed which you should use.

2. Vary the test site being used and don't always assume a local one will be faster.  Sure it might have lower latency, but it may also have a slow link.   A couple of smaller locations which my speedtest.net site seems to favor always max out around 100mb regardless of the speed (that's they're end, not mine).  Also, pay attention to who you test against -- not saying anything funky is going on -- but is there motivation for say a "Comcast" run test server to favor speedtest traffic coming at it from a FiOS network?  I also sample several sites when testing.  YMMV.

3. Seriously pay attention to local congestion on your network.  I use Tivo and the remote set top boxes utilize the main box for all content including live TV.  Even with the TV turned off, these can each suck up 30mb/s in streaming content on the local wire.

4.  Test connected directly to the router which is connected to the ONT.  No intervening network hardware (MoCA repeaters, powerline adapters, etc.).  These all impact bandwidth.

5. Make sure you system is tuned for high speed / low latency connections (window size, retry times, etc.).   There are utilities on DSLreports and other places you can run which will adjust these (newer OS's do a better job at doing this automatically).

Just some thoughts. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I can tell you that the Verizon speed tests do not lie. I get similar results on both Verizon and Ookla speed test. What speeds test sites are you using? You say you got better results when using 150/150. What were the results?

jonjones1
Legend

Verizons speed test is on a proprietary connection. Yes it will not be the same as ookula or other sites. In addition to that the other sites don’t have the gigabyte speed test servers in many places.

you must also be hardwired to your router for device speed tests which also vary due to device limitations. Router to test server will be up to 940/880 and wifi is not guaranteed at all.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have not found the Vz tests to be inaccurate.  They do tend to perform better than speedtest.net / ookla, etc. but that's due to being "on network" vs thru the open internet.  You are right however about the the Gig service being "up to" vs "guarenteed".   Prior to moving to Gig, I would consisently get 100mb (on my 100/100) or very close to it from various test locations on the internet.   My Gig connection varies from close to the 940/880 numbers at certain times in the evening to about half that early in the evening and certain other "prime" times.

Some things to investigate however:

1. Browser based speed tests on connections running above about 200mb are not reliable (depending on the browser, it can't keep up).  Many speed test sites have an app for testing higher speed which you should use.

2. Vary the test site being used and don't always assume a local one will be faster.  Sure it might have lower latency, but it may also have a slow link.   A couple of smaller locations which my speedtest.net site seems to favor always max out around 100mb regardless of the speed (that's they're end, not mine).  Also, pay attention to who you test against -- not saying anything funky is going on -- but is there motivation for say a "Comcast" run test server to favor speedtest traffic coming at it from a FiOS network?  I also sample several sites when testing.  YMMV.

3. Seriously pay attention to local congestion on your network.  I use Tivo and the remote set top boxes utilize the main box for all content including live TV.  Even with the TV turned off, these can each suck up 30mb/s in streaming content on the local wire.

4.  Test connected directly to the router which is connected to the ONT.  No intervening network hardware (MoCA repeaters, powerline adapters, etc.).  These all impact bandwidth.

5. Make sure you system is tuned for high speed / low latency connections (window size, retry times, etc.).   There are utilities on DSLreports and other places you can run which will adjust these (newer OS's do a better job at doing this automatically).

Just some thoughts. 

mikek2118

LOLOL Yeah, neither did Spectrums, who were lying about speeds. A week before that news story broke by me, I tested there internet with 9 different sites. Only Spectrums gave me the speed they listed. Every other site gave me the very same result within less the 3-4 mbps. Spectrum tried to feed a bunch of **bleep**. I have had the same thing with Fios recently. First I switched from 100 to 200. My download speeds were 5 times as fast, for a day. Now, same site same downloads, at less then when I had 100. Funny thing is that when I test them, it reads I'm at 300 mbps, yet actually running much slower. The other 8 tests, all list within 10 MBPS at much lower. So, ummm..yeah, they do lie. To boot, when I contacted them to cancel the service when I was still on the 100 mbps service, they fed me a ton of lies to get me to switch up to 200. Including telling me I was eligible for the Disney plus offer they had. I bought it, and then when I recieved no activation for the app, I contacted them. They said it was for new subscribers and when I told them that the salesperson said I qualified and would be recieving an activation in the email. They completely ignored that, even though I had made a copy of my entire chat with that agent and had it word for word. They even tried to tell me the agents on their site that sell this stuff, didn't know any better and didn't know that they couldn't offer that. LOLOLOL Even though when I said I wanted to cancel and they asked to check my account. They came back with, "Good News !! You qualify". LOL So don't talk about lying with this company You can't get honesty from this company, even when you have their **bleep** in writing. LOL

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi mikek2118,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Messenger Inbox for a message from a Verizon Support agent. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page and then clicking the envelope icon that appears at the top of the menu. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes