Verizon is asking me to return the router I bought to pay $100?
OldManJenkins

Just renewed and upgraded my FIOS account, I got a new router to replace my old one which I'd bought, but I'm being asked to return it? I confirmed the serial number they're expecting and it's definately the one I shelled out to buy, anyone else come across this? Anyone know if I return the new one they sent me the system is smart enough to figure out what's going on? Also if I do I don't want to be charged rent on my own router if I do send the new one back.

Asking here because I've had a nightmare trying to explain this on the phone to Verizon Customer Care. 

Any thoughts appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon is asking me to return the router I bought to pay $100?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Where did you buy the router from?

If it wasn't from Verizon, it is possible they have it listed as stolen.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

If you google this situation it is quite common.

the problem is some customers will take a rented router and sell it on eBay or amazon other other sites. Most times the router is not listed as stolen and no issues.

other times it’s a Frontier flashed old Verizon router. Both are not usable on Verizon Fios.

if you can contact the seller have them take it back and send a new one. Of course if the seller knows these routers are listed as stolen no refund will be given.

you don’t have to return your purchased one to use Fios. But Fios may not activate service if you use the questionable one. Best you can do is get money back for other Fios router, purchase a Netgear or Asus or Archer Router which is never connected to Fios 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi OldManJenkins,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes