Verizon.net e-mail SSL Ports
dsorrent
Enthusiast - Level 1

I looked online and can't seem to locate this information.  Can someone give me the SSL Ports for the POP3 (incoming.verizon.net) and the SMTP (outgoing.verizon.net) servers?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Verizon.net e-mail SSL Ports
VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

Hi dsorrent,

The server port numbers for verizon netmail  is 25 for outgoing (smtp) and 110 for incoming (pop3).  The server does not require a secure connection (SSL) so the boxes for "This server requires a secure connection" don't need to be checked. If you use a portal partner, ie. yahoo or aol, the server settings are different.  Hope this helps.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Verizon's email servers don't currently support SSL. Not sure if there are any plans to implement this in the future or not, but they've got a lot on their plate already so I wouldn't hold my breath.

dsorrent
Enthusiast - Level 1

VZ_Kim,

Thanks for the reply. I realized Verizon supported ports 25/110 for SMTP/POP3 respectively, however, these connections are not secure.  If I configure my mail client to utilize these connections, my username & password for Verizon.net are sent in clear text over the internet to your mail servers.  It is shocking that in 2010 I have to connect to mail servers on unencrypted connections.

Verizon has certificates installed on thier web site (www.verizon.net) to ensure nobody steals their identity with a man in the middle attack, why is it so difficult for Verizon to provide the same protection for their customers?

VZ_Kim, could you please let me know who at Verizon that I can speak with to get this rectified?

Thank you.

VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

Unfortunately that's not something we offer at this time.   One way to get that type of protection, is to become a Verizon business customer.  That way you can get a static IP and setup your own email server.

0 Likes