Re: Verizon no longer to allow users to use FTP to maintain their personal web site
blh4
Enthusiast - Level 1

The following webpage shows that FTP Access is available for an "Advanced" Domain.

http://surround.verizon.com/Shop/PopUps/VerizonYourDomainOptions.aspx

However, I called Tech Support, and was told that ALL personal webpages MUST be uploaded using Website Builder (their tool). Apparently, the FTP Access is for downloading a file. So it doesn't really matter HOW much money you pay them as a "person" (not a business), you will HAVE to use the Website Builder tool (horrible as it is).

So, we WILL have to move our websites. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good web hosting company?

Re: Verizon no longer to allow users to use FTP to maintain their personal web site
Scott_r1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@blh wrote:

The following webpage shows that FTP Access is available for an "Advanced" Domain.

http://surround.verizon.com/Shop/PopUps/VerizonYourDomainOptions.aspx

However, I called Tech Support, and was told that ALL personal webpages MUST be uploaded using Website Builder (their tool). Apparently, the FTP Access is for downloading a file. So it doesn't really matter HOW much money you pay them as a "person" (not a business), you will HAVE to use the Website Builder tool (horrible as it is).

So, we WILL have to move our websites. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good web hosting company?

I helped people I know get sites on freehostia (which, as the name implies, is free for basic sites). It wasn't used for anything fancy--they had restaurants and basically wanted to post directions, menus, and the like. Never had any problems.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just do a search for web hosting and you'll find plenty of well-known web hosts. I suggested x10Hosting on the previous page. They do both Free and Paid as an FYI. Prices for features are loads better than what Verizon wishes to offer, the same goes with any other host.

Check these guys out though: http://www.x10hosting.com/

0 Likes
MrChris1
Enthusiast - Level 3

After more than an hour and a half of waiting, talking, being transferred 5 times, and no one at Verizon having any idea of this issue, it seems like I'll have to find a new provider to host my photos & miniscule personal web site. Way to go to lose customers, Verizon!

df034381
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got off the phone with support and they said it was a SCAM EMAIL and they are not dropping support of FTP.  SO who is right?

Scott_r1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@df03438 wrote:

I just got off the phone with support and they said it was a SCAM EMAIL and they are not dropping support of FTP.  SO who is right?

And I just got off a support chat saying it's legit and FTP is being cut off.

df034381
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well then I am moving my FTP data to IPOWER.com  they have great hosting.

virtualbob
Enthusiast - Level 1

heh -- lots of first time posters here, including myself.

agree with what "devjoe"  says in msg #5.  Site builder not user friendly, at all.   Why can't I paste my html into a blank page ???

BAD change for verizon internet service.

Scott_r1
Enthusiast - Level 3

You just have to love the corporate doublespeak: it's part of "enhancements to the online customer experience." 

Only a marketing person could describe the removal of a feature as an "enhancement."

MrChris1
Enthusiast - Level 3

A couple of comments.

1. Verizon themselves seem to be clueless regarding this 'issue'

2. Per the scam email comment, I looked at the IP it came from, and it's not coming from Verizon (all of their replies to my inquiry did come from Verizon).

3. Unless I hear an official response, either by email, or by an employee on this forum, it looks like I'll be going to IPOWER.com.