Re: Verizon no longer to allow users to use FTP to maintain their personal web site
Scott_r1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@MrChris wrote:

1. Verizon themselves seem to be clueless regarding this 'issue' 

I don't think so. My guess is that this is purely cost-benefit. They probably dropped or reassigned employees who were maintaining the FTP servers, thus saving those salaries, and were fairly certain that though they might have unhappy customers, they wouldn't lose any over the issue. Very few companies care about making customers happy if it doesn't directly translate into revenue.

Re: Verizon no longer to allow users to use FTP to maintain their personal web site
RobHamm412
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think Verizon has got caught with some security hacking or Intuit, who manages Verizon servers has a security problem. I manage both a personal and business account thru Verizon and tech support told me there will be no FTP's after 8-21-2011 for either type. Guess I'm screwed. I'll probably have to move to GoDaddy or someone like that. Pisssssed

cayz
Enthusiast - Level 2

All,

I think if we want to be heard on this issue, we need to have a combined effort, instead of having multiple, smaller threads.  One thread with 30-50 messages is more likely to be "listened to" than 3 threads with 10-15 each.

May I recommend that all users upset with this, and wanting to have further user input, post to the thread labeled "No More FTP?" in the General Residential Products and Services Forum
(http://forums.verizon.com/t5/General-Residential-Products-and/No-More-FTP/td-p/327795)

If you wish to discuss or add ideas for an FTP substitute I would suggest voting for / commenting on
"Discontinued FTP service substitute " in the Share Your Ideas forum
(http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/Discontinued-FTP-service-substitute/idi-p... )

United We Stand (and Be Heard)

James

nkplt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been posting on the broadband forums to Verizon users there as well. This is a very bad decision by Verizon. What is worse is that Verizon says they care about our business bu they don't even take the time to inform their agents. I spent hours last night trying to get an answer only to be told they were clueless to the issue. I was directed to a couple different phone numbers, several people and lots of waiting on hold. No results. I have also been trying to access this so called web site builder only to find it won't connect. I was told by another agent that they did something that is causing the problem. This is what this agent said via live chat 

Some upgrade, unable to access since 8 pm last night

If they continue with this sort of service I don't know what I will do but I don't want to lose my web site.

What "security" issues will not allowing FTP access solve?
jimfo1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got email from Verizon stating: "For security reasons, Verizon will no longer allow users to FTP their HTML files to the personal web site Verizon offers".

I am puzzled by this - What "security reasons" will this solve? Virtually ever $5 web host allows FTP access. How can they deal with these security issues but Verizon can't?

I don't think security has anything to do with it, but I'll give Verizon the benefit of the doubt. So, can anyone tell me - Is Verizon's reason just a feeble PR attempt (i.e. bald-faced lie) at calming customer fury, or are there really security issues that they can't deal with?

tns
Master - Level 2

Also everyone vote on suggestion asing for a replacement for the soon to be discontinued FTP service

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/Discontinued-FTP-service-substitute/idi-p...

pnew122

Hoping not to blow a head gasket here, buthinking I might. Have paid years for extra web space, and uploaded what I needed. I left Crimecast for DirecTv and tht total package here, but this will be the last straw messing with my web space and uploads. Crimecast even gace you 200 KB for free, and 100 times faster than my currect DSL, which is all I can get. Will be calling tomorrow, and have sent an e-mail, but got a feeling I will be **bleep** when this is over.

0 Likes
wrhimes1
Enthusiast - Level 1

After talking to Customer Service and Tech Support, Yes they are disabling FTP for the personal web sites.  This is being painted as a "security enhancement" but if you pay $6 a month it is no longer a security risk?  I think is is probably a means of cutting cost cutting by reducing DASD use.  If you make a service inconvenient then people will stop using it.  What a shame, and I have been so satisfied with Verizon prior to now, but I just don't appreciate being treated as if I am stupid.

nkplt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried to connect to site builder since last weekend and cannot connect. I am on a Mac using the lastet browser. Is anyone else having trouble connecting to site builder? I wanted to see how bad it really is since I soon will not be able to ftp to my web  site. I tried to call Verizon support but absolutely no one has a clue what I am talking about. Some great tech support. I spent two hours plus on two different occasions and all I got was run around. The last person they connect me to hung up on me! So I am hoping that someone in this forum can help me out. 

ThanksSmiley Mad

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@nkplt wrote:

I have tried to connect to site builder since last weekend and cannot connect. I am on a Mac using the lastet browser. Is anyone else having trouble connecting to site builder? I wanted to see how bad it really is since I soon will not be able to ftp to my web  site. I tried to call Verizon support but absolutely no one has a clue what I am talking about. Some great tech support. I spent two hours plus on two different occasions and all I got was run around. The last person they connect me to hung up on me! So I am hoping that someone in this forum can help me out. 

ThanksSmiley Mad

I'd bet money you're using Safari. Sitebuilder opens in a new window, and Safari doesn't seem to be able to open it (neither can Chrome). This is just another reason on the long list of why getting rid of FTP is a terrible idea.