Re: Verizon no longer to allow users to use FTP to maintain their personal web site
jimfo1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Question: What will happen to my existing personal website (downloaded via FTP) after Aug. 21?  Will Verizon remove it?  Will I be able to modify or delete the pages using the Site Builder?  I tried, but I couldn't find my HTML pages with Site Builder. When I get a new host, I would like to be able to post pages with links "Site move to...".

Re: Verizon no longer to allow users to use FTP to maintain their personal web site
nkplt
Enthusiast - Level 2

nkplt wrote:

I have tried to connect to site builder since last weekend and cannot connect. I am on a Mac using the lastet browser. Is anyone else having trouble connecting to site builder? I wanted to see how bad it really is since I soon will not be able to ftp to my web  site. I tried to call Verizon support but absolutely no one has a clue what I am talking about. Some great tech support. I spent two hours plus on two different occasions and all I got was run around. The last person they connect me to hung up on me! So I am hoping that someone in this forum can help me out. 

Thanks

somegirl wrote:

I'd bet money you're using Safari. Sitebuilder opens in a new window, and Safari doesn't seem to be able to open it (neither can Chrome). This is just another reason on the long list of why getting rid of FTP is a terrible idea.

nkplt answer:

Yep! You are right but I also tried Firefox and that did the same thing. So today I signed on at work on a Windows machine and guess what, it did not work there either. I think Verizon has really dropped the ball here and they are going to get a lot of flack from customers. The sad part is that I really like Verizon fios, at least up until now. I guess I will keep trying until it gets close to the 21st deadline and then I will pull my web site down and go somewhere else for a web page. This will definately be a black eye for Fios in my opinion and it will make me stop recommending people going to Fios. It just seems like the big companies don't care anymore. Just hand over the money and don't complain!

nkplt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well guess what folks. I was reading where another user said he had to use his primary account so I tried what I thought was my secondary account. Turns out it was the primary account after all and all of a sudden I can now access site builder. Why on earth does Verizon not  put that in a faq! Man all this time wasted. As a footnote to all Mac users out there, sorry but Sarfari will not work with site builder, I have no idea why but Firefox (at least this version 5.0.1) will open site builder and allow you to edit your website. Now I find I am at my maximum 10 mb (small in todays world but that is life for free) so I will have to delete some of my old website for now so I can try to see how this sitebuilder works and if it is as bad as everyone says it is. I guess I will find out and report back. By the way, I had to sign in to add to this forum in my secondary account because that is where I started. Sorry for the wordy reply. Smiley Surprised

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

... in the past (early 2006 and before) the Verizon Site Builder did work with Sub-Accounts. Why it isn't working now apparently, who knows.

0 Likes
jimfo1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can get into Site Builder, but I can't seem to edit or delete the pages I downloaded with FTP. Is it possible?

And again, what happens to those pages after Verizon cuts off FTP access?  Will Verizon delete them or will they stay there forever (uneditable and undeletable)?

tns
Master - Level 2

@jimfo wrote:

I can get into Site Builder, but I can't seem to edit or delete the pages I downloaded with FTP. Is it possible?

And again, what happens to those pages after Verizon cuts off FTP access?  Will Verizon delete them or will they stay there forever (uneditable and undeletable)?

It doesn't know anything about what you built outside Site builder.  One of many reasons the rest of us dislike it.

nkplt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, the saga continues. I tried to use their site builder tonight and guess what, I can't seem to type any text in the text box that pops up when you select edit on the template pages. I was able to upload one photot but that was it! so I sent an email but  I really don't expect an intelligent response. So far all emails I get a response to are very generic in nature and they tell you to call someone who also does not know anything. I suppose it is because I am on a Mac and they dont support anything but windows and IE. What a joke. Smiley Mad

nkpltrr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, I have now got a handle on this site builder issue. Even tho the program is very weak for a web site builder I have now gotten it to work. I spent several hours with tech support and they told me it was a java script issue. So I went to Apple discussion and there is plenty there about Java not working and playing well with others. Firefox or Safari will not work with this sitebuilder program so I downloaded Opera after finding out  it works with java and guess what, it now works. So I will move on. IF YOU ARE ON A MAC COMPUTER THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I HAVE FOUND SO FAR TO GET SITEBUILDER TO WORK. USE OPERA! AND GOOD LUCK.  Smiley Tongue by the way, I am also nkplt on this forum. Login under two different accounts. Sorry.

jimfo1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called support again to make sure I was clear. They told me that my personal website (that was downloaded with FTP) will be deleted on Aug. 21

I just signed up for a hosting plan with GoDaddy. The economy plan came out to $2.58 per month with 3 year contract and 31% off coupon code. I'm sure GoDaddy doesn't have the FTP "security issues" that Verizon can't seem to deal with. Maybe Verizon should hire some competent people. ...Or at least stop lying about the reason.

After my site is moved, I'll post "moved to" pages on Verizon. I expect those to be deleted on Aug. 21, at which point I'll try to recreate them with Site Builder.

Finally, I am canceling my paperless billing with Verizon. Their new FTP policy costs me an extra $2.58 a month. The least I can do is return the favor by making them print and mail me a bill each month.

Bad Verizon, no biscuit.

nkplt
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, Another turn on the ole wrench. Opera does not work at least not entirely. You can access the sitebuilder program but if you try to add a photo in another location, it quits working and gives you an error message. So I tried Omniweb, no go and then finally Netscape Navagator 9.0.0.6. I could not believe I even found a version that works with Mac OS 10.6.8. but it does and it works with stiebuilder. I can upload photos and place them and add and edit text . The program still sucks for air compared to anything you can do with a regular html program and ftp.  I am not sure what I will end up doing at this point but I sure am upset that Verizon is doing this to us. It stinks. Well anyway, if you are on a Mac computer go out and find Netscape Navigator and be sure to select the version 9.0.0.6 and it will work ok. I don't know about if it will work on Lion.  Don't have that. I suspect it won't since Lion does not support Rosetta. Good luck!