Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

Verizon no longer to allow users to use FTP to maintain their personal web site

stawick1
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Verizon no longer to allow users to use FTP to maintain their personal web site

Message 41 of 72
(2,458 Views)

As I posted in 1 of the other threads, I too find SiteBoulder useless. I require ftp access. Tried it tonight (8/5, well the 6th about now), and was kicked out trying to cd to a dir and listing files.  Looks like its starting already.  Gee, thanks for nothing big-V.

Grrrrr.

ViennaDave
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Verizon no longer to allow users to use FTP to maintain their personal web site

Message 42 of 72
(2,442 Views)

This isn't much of a cost problem as I can get a real web site for much less that Verizon charges for the lowest upgrade option. It is just astounding that Verizon has the gall to claim that they are enhancing my online experience by restricting web site access to a buggy tool that does not work with most browsers. It lowers my opinion of Verizon without generating any additional revenue. It has reduced revenue from others I know who were paying extra per month for optional storage. They now have a real web site and they saved money because they now get 300GB of storage for less than Verizon was charging for 50 MB of extra space.

SidB
Contributor
Contributor

Message 43 of 72
(2,360 Views)

In talking to Verizon, I was offered a web site that INCLUDED FTP, for a charge of $6 per month.  (discount of 50%} for the first 6 months.  THis obviously begs the question as to why FTP is NOT secure on a free PWS, but the same FTP IS secure when I pay!

EdHound
Contributor
Contributor

Message 44 of 72
(2,287 Views)

Been on the phone for nearly 4 hours...

I've spoke to verizon techs, Fios Support, E-Center, E-Care, DSL, Web Hosting, Email Department, Intuit Department, no one can tell me how to log in to download.

Apparently, they have disconnected early and we cannot lon on to download.

{word filter avoidance} frustrating.  No one there knows anything.  Maybe just one person shut it off.  How do we find him or her?

bpsanborn
Contributor
Contributor

Message 45 of 72
(2,195 Views)

Aug 21 as come and gone and I can still get into my webspace and delete and add content.  I am using Window 7 Explorer as my utility.

Brian

Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 46 of 72
(2,186 Views)

Looks to be online here, as well:

Status:    Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:    220-For security reasons, Verizon will no longer allow users to FTP
Response:      their HTML files to the personal web site Verizon offers.
Response:     
Response:       Verizon recommends that current FTP users download their files
Response:      prior to August 21, 2011 to prevent any data loss.  If you still
Response:      wish to have a Verizon website, please go to our site builder
Response:      tool available with Personal Webspace which can be found under
Response:      My Services in My Verizon.
Response:     
Response:     After 21 August, 2011, you will not be able to use FTP
Response:     for uploading your files.
Response:     
Response:     
Response:    220 ftpmysite.verizon.net
Command:    USER **********
Response:    331 Password required for ************.
Command:    PASS ********************
Response:    230-User ************ logged in.
Response:    230 Quota: avail(93.1%)=3903381.0 used(6.9%)=290923.0 limit=4194304.0 bytes
Command:    SYST
Response:    215 UNIX Type: L8
Command:    FEAT
Response:    211-Features:
Response:     MDTM
Response:     REST STREAM
Response:     SIZE
Response:    211 End
Command:    PWD
Response:    257 "/" is current directory.
Command:    TYPE I
Response:    200 Type set to I
Command:    PASV
Response:    227 Entering Passive Mode (206,46,230,45,211,69)
Command:    LIST
Response:    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
Response:    226-Transfer complete.
Response:    226 Quota: avail(93.1%)=3903381.0 used(6.9%)=290923.0 limit=4194304.0 bytes

Issuing Store, Delete, and Move commands all work, still. I just uploaded a 3MB file to the account I have and it went without an issue (though with the typical "I'm going to terminate your connection right after upload"  behavior).

Justin
Platinum Contributor III

Message 47 of 72
(2,181 Views)

Yep, I was just able to access my site with my FileZilla FTP client. Shush, don't anybody tell Verizon..... Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

Mikedtoys
Contributor
Contributor

Message 48 of 72
(2,098 Views)

I have a feeling you're not able to use filezilla now? I like to know how they're going to resolve this. They'll probably want more money for what we've had all this time! Are there any free webspaces out there that you can still access with ftp? I'm just using mine for pictures. Tried one the other day called webs.com but they won't let you use ftp unless of course you pay for the it.

Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III

Message 49 of 72
(2,094 Views)

Try x10Hosting. They offer FTP access, and if you're in a place that doesn't offer FTP, also have a File Manager which works similar to FTP but done on the server over HTTP. They are strict on their ToS for uploaded materials like any other Free Host is, but that is no surprise considering people sign up for Free Hosting on the basis that it gives them Unmetered Disk and Bandwidth, and then start setting up download sites, using Rapidleech scripts and attempting to upload 1.6TB large files. Those are people who get killed by the ToS, but it's pretty simple to follow it.

FTP still works on Verizon. I just connected to my own server via FTP and files transferred with no issue, like Verizon promised. Of course, I use SFTP since I have SSH access to my own server, naturally.

cicad
Contributor
Contributor

Message 50 of 72
(2,074 Views)

Try going to www.supermedia.com (866-311-4186)

They are not associated with Verizon, and will give you 600 megs storage with FTP for $14.95 each month.

Btw, one Verizon tecchie gave me their number by accident from his computer, Superpages says they have been trying to get their number off of Verizon's database for two years, but nothing.

This indicates Verizon's level of computer savvy, as they cannot even get a competitor's phone number out of their database,

hahahaha

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title