Verizon's new FiOS GigE Wireless N Router and High Speed Internet
Jesteraron
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I got a deal in the mail to get an upgrade to [50/25] Mbps Internet (I currently have [15/5]...when I was reviewing it on line this message came up...

Verizon will provide up to [50/25] Mbps Internet with a wired connection. If you use your Internet primarily for wireless or WiFi connections, you have the option to upgrade to Verizon's new FiOS GigE Wireless N Router which will maximize your speed delivered through your wireless connection.

Upon completion of your order, you'll be provided with information for purchasing a router at Verizon's online equipment and accessories store.

I am VERY interested in getting super fast internet...my current internet is really good but it wouldnt hurt to bump it up.  I have several devices using internet in the home...most of them wireless (including my PS3).  I currently use a Verizon Actiontec router.

So here is my question...do I really need to get the above router to take advantage of that [50/25]? Also one other thing...My house is fairly large and I would really like to have two routers...is it possible to use two routers or a setup to have one upstairs and another downstairs?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

-Jest

0 Likes
Re: Verizon's new FiOS GigE Wireless N Router and High Speed Internet
stephenjt1tx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Up until I went to Quantum FIOS, 75/35 I used the normal actiontec router with no issues.

Upon moving to the quantum speed, I got the gigE router and did notice that when I sit on the couch downstairs (my modem is upstairs in the farthest location possible from my couch) I went from around 20-25 MBps to 65MBps on my tablet. 

Jesteraron
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  Any thoughts on having multiple routers? Or here is another question...if I wanted to have my router in the same place as one of our TV's can I use a splitter to split the coax and feed one into the DVR and the other into the router? Can that be done with fios?

I would really like to get my PS3 off wireless and make it wired without running CAT-5 through my house.

-Jest

0 Likes
Re: FiOS GigE Wireless N Router - Home Network Modifications Possible
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Jesteraron wrote:

Any thoughts on having multiple routers?  ...

I have many thoughts on multiple routers.  It's a very common topic in the forums.  Ask a specific question and I or others will try to provide helpful information.

@Jesteraron wrote:

... if I wanted to have my router in the same place as one of our TV's can I use a splitter to split the coax and feed one into the DVR and the other into the router? Can that be done with fios? ... 

Yes, this works.  You'll need a "FiOS-capable" splitter which means a bidirectional unit with a frequency range of at least 5 to 1000 MHZ.  Here's a link to a related discussion:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Connecting-gaming-console-MoCA-adapter-or-Router/m-p/5679...

@Jesteraron wrote:

... I would really like to get my PS3 off wireless and make it wired without running CAT-5 through my house ...

You can do this easily with the splitter arrangement discussed above.  In fact the link I gave specifically mentions gaming consoles, although the user in that instance is setting up a MoCA adapter instead of a router.  The two are closely related, but of course different in design.  Good luck with your setup.

0 Likes
Darnedifino
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does anyone know if the range of the new router is any greater than that of the old ActionTec M1424WR model? I'm considering buying an extender, but the cost is almost the same as a new router and all I need is another 10 feet of range.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

There are a lot of variables that affect wireless range.

Walls, interference, other networks in the area, etc.

You don't indicate which older Actiontec you have.

Wireless capabilities also vary by Actiontec hardware revision (A,C,D,E,F,G,I).

In general, wireless range for 802.11n is somewhat less than 802.11g, even though the bandwidth is higher.

This is especially true on the 5Ghz band (which the latest Actiontec doesn;t support).

If you only need another 10 feet, you could try moving the router, or replacing the antenna with a high gain antenna.

http://www.meritline.com/high-gain-802n-2-4ghz-swivel-antenna-routers-network-card-adapters---p-4440...

Darnedifino
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks! Good info.  Guess I'll try a high gain antenna, since that seems like the least costly options.  I've got an ActionTec MI424-WR Rev. A router. At least that's what the Router status  screen tells me.

0 Likes