Verizon sale to Frontier Communications
golfdude

I was wondering if anybody has the true information on the sale of certain Verizon assets to Frontier Communications.  It was my understanding that Verizon was selling the old phone lines and the assets (buildings and such) that are associated with this "old technology".  Excluded from the sale are the FiOS lines and customers as well as the Wireless part of Verizon.  However, the local newspaper had a story the other day that said that Verizon was selling off everything to concentrate on the wireless part only.

Just wondering what the truth is.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon sale to Frontier Communications
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

All of Verizon's data lines in those states are being sold. This means all dial, all dsl, all fios, etc. Verizon Wireless is unaffected.

You have to understand that while they're all "Verizon" they are actually different "companies" within that parent company. (Maybe "sections" or "organizations" would be a better term?)

0 Likes
golfdude

Thanks for the quick answer.  I guess it seems wierd they would invest so much money in my community to install the FiOS and put a real hurt on Comcast, then turn around and sale us off.

I guess the paper was correct this time....

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

It does seem weird, but I'm sure Verizon is making money on the deal. Why sell if you don't make a profit, right? 

0 Likes
daviesp

It's actually one of future profits and loses. Verizon like all other established phone companies are seeing the erosion and devaluation of thier "copper" assets. With the entire system moving towards fiber and other terestrial backhaul operations copper is becoming less and less profitable and soon Verizon like all telco companies will soon see larger and larger losses on that infrustructure.

(edit)

The unfortunate impact to Verizons customers are degraded service since Frontier has no infrustructure and doesn't have the technical experitise, management nor business model to take over an operation as large and complex as the FiOS operation. It's equally unfortunate that Verizon is chosing to sell out and abandon it's loyal North Western US customers like this.

Note: I do not work for Verizon, but I am a conscientious consumer who does his homework.

0 Likes