Re: Verizon security suite does not work with Windows 7
Justin46
Legend

@spacedebris wrote:

For now, anyone that needs protection for windows 7.  You can download the free version of AVG and it is fully compatible with Windows 7 until Verizon can get theirs working with 7. Works great and its free.

Another excellent free alternative is Avast. I formerly used AVG for many years, I am much happier with Avast. Another apparently good choice is Avira, although I have never used it. But your mileage may vary....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Microsoft also has "Windows Essentials" which is a free windows antivirus, that works pretty well.

0 Likes
ALM

Earlier posting indicate that Verizon actually has a compatible version of VISS for Windows 7.

Do they or don't they? A simple answer from a Verizon tech would be helpful.

I've been searching the Verizon site for an hour trying to figure if there even was a compatibility problem. 

Apparently Microsoft knows about it because the Windows 7 Install Advisor app from Microsoft says

I must uninstall the VISS.

I've found out more from these old posting than from the official Verizon FAQs.

Windows 7 is a big deal -seems like Verizon just ignored the reality of its pending release.

We've known it was coming for over a year.

So is there a compatible version or not and will I be charged for downloading it if I already subscribe to the Vista compatible version?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@ALM wrote:

Earlier posting indicate that Verizon actually has a compatible version of VISS for Windows 7.

I've been searching the Verizon site for an hour trying to figure if there even was a compatibility problem. 

Apparently Microsoft knows about it because the Windows 7 Install Advisor app from Microsoft says

Windows 7 is a big deal -seems like Verizon just ignored the reality of its pending release.

So is there a compatible version or not and will I be charged for downloading it if I already subscribe to the Vista compatible version?

The answer seems to be that there was a version available for Windows 7, but it has been pulled back by Radial Point. Verizon didn't "ignore" Windows 7, the provider of the software that they offer has not made a Windows 7 version available to them. Verizon cannot give what it does not have. Complain to Radial Point if you need to.

0 Likes
Bippo

@somegirl wrote:

@ALM wrote:

The answer seems to be that there was a version available for Windows 7, but it has been pulled back by Radial Point. Verizon didn't "ignore" Windows 7, the provider of the software that they offer has not made a Windows 7 version available to them. Verizon cannot give what it does not have. Complain to Radial Point if you need to.

I believe that our beef is with Verizon.  While Radial Point may be the developer of Verizon's security software, Verizon is responsible to us, its customers.  We are paying Verizon for the service, not Radial Point.  It seems that most of the other major Internet security developers have Windows 7 compliant products - it has to particularly embarrassing for Verizon not to have one available.  Windows 7's introduction has not been a secret.  I am sure that Verizon is working closely with Radial Point to get a working product out to us.  In the meantime, Verizon does need to let us know what's going on.

0 Likes
nut4sports

Thank goodness for AVG. They are kind enough to provide some free security whenever problems like this arise. However, it is ridiculous that this is necessary. I wonder how many ISPs other than Verizon are not prepared for Windows 7.... Since it has hit the market without any notice...right?  🙂  Unfortunately, this is all to typical of my experience with Verizon. I guess if they were NASA, men would have been sent to the moon and then start working on a way to get them back. I am pleased that Verizon is sending customer in some areas a modem-router to replace Actiontec. I had to connect a Linksys router to mine in order to get my all wireless home network to function. I wish FIOS was not so good with sports for I sure would have few headaches without Verizon. I hope that distribution of the new equipment will prevent other problems with Windows 7.

nut4sports

0 Likes
sharperms

I just upgraded to Windows 7 and I have been having the same problem with being redirected to my Verizon Central personalized homepage...even when I tried your link posted here.

Looks like I might have to find another security program.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Two things to get the VISS working with Windows 7 that I've found.

1. You MUST completely remove the VISS from the computer. It will not upgrade. So if you've upgraded the computer from Vista/XP to Windows 7, you must uninstall the program and then install from scratch.

2. When you get to the link to download the program. It will ask you to authenticate your acct and to install an active-x program. Then you get in an endless loop everytime you click "retry" it brings you right back. To solve this, do not close Internet Explorer. Just go back to the main Verizon.net page and re-enter the download from the web page, it will work this way. Windows 7 seems to have a problem storing the cookie, unless you leave the page and come back.

I've now assisted 3 of my neighbors in installing this and its worked all 3 times.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I just spoke to my tech support friend and he says that he has heard that Verizon is going to dump the Radial Point VISS at the end of this month. Their contract with them is up and they are not going to renew it. They are instead going to switch to Macafee. Supposidly all new customer starting Jan 1 will be getting Macafee and all customers who currently have VISS will be changed over to Macafee by March 2010.

There has been no "official" word on this but he says that the person who told him, is in the know and they are starting to prepare the techs for the switch.

Good News?? Time will tell.

0 Likes
cf4282
Enthusiast - Level 2

here's what has to happen....

before you even start. make sure that there is no verizon service point or verizon internet security in your installed programs list found in control panel.. if they exist, uninstall VISS and  verizon service point .. restart your PC 

there's a link for VISS9 @ "broadband essentials and extras" located on "my acct" under  www.verizon.net .. you have to login with the primary verizon.net login..

this will download and install service point which will install the actual product

...hope this helps

0 Likes