Verizon speed test values not real
dntlkvrzn

When I use Verizon internet speed test, I always get close to 15 mbps download and 5 mbps upload.  However, I know it is not true since my internet is really slow from time to time.  I don't like to call Verizon support since I got a very bad service last time and there is no where I can complain about this lady.  Anyway, so I downloaded a internet speed tester on my iphone.  Sometimes it gives me 15/5 and sometimes lower which is more often.  This morning, I need to work from home and all of sudden, nothing is moving.  When I checked Verizon speed test from my computer, it gave me 15/6 and when I checked my iphone it was 0.06/1.5!!!!.  And it is not just once.  I actually did it many times over a few minutes.  I even shutdown my modem and restarted it and it is the same.  One of them must be lying and from my internet experience, I know it is Verizon.

They take a lot of money and they won't provide the service they promised.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon speed test values not real
dntlkvrzn

Forgot to mention I am using Verizon FIOS.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

is the computer connection wired or wireless?

You can always test your speed at a non verizon site such as

www.speedtest.net

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Speed test values are true but not real world.  They are done to servers that are close to the verizon servers you first connect to and so get great speed.

All sorts of things effect real world.  And using wireless at your location also greatly effects speed.

Going to some sites the problem is at servers that are not verizon or even at that sites servers.

Not helping things is the peering disputes that Verizon is having with some services such as the one with COGENT that effects many users of Netflix.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tns_2 wrote:

The Speed test values are true but not real world.  They are done to servers that are close to the verizon servers you first connect to and so get great speed.

I think you'll find the button marked "choose a different server" is so that you can select any server in the country for your speedtest.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:

@tns_2 wrote:

I think you'll find the button marked "choose a different server" is so that you can select any server in the country for your speedtest.

Even the ones further away are still located close to Verizon's Core network, to the point that although larger ping values they are still faster than average.

0 Likes