Verizon, upgrade your capacity or lose another customer
snoborder101
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is ridiculous. For the amount of money I spend on FIOS, I should be getting the service I pay for when I actually use it, not when I'm not home. I have 75/75, well I pay for it anyway, yet I consistently get 4-6Mbps down and 10-12Mbps up. We won't even mention the horrendous packet loss. If you can't provide the service I'm paying for, then I will switch to comcast. No, it's not on my end. I'm a networking major, so I've gone through everything possible. Other customers in this area are having the same issue. I understand 7-11 is prime time for bandwidth, but that's generally the only time I'm home to use it. It's been like this at least the past two months. Prior, speeds would drop off, but the packet loss wasn't nearly as bad making it not as big of an issue. Now, it's simply unbearable.

/rant

Re: Verizon, upgrade your capacity or lose another customer
Sdsmith1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Going to ile on here as well.  i pay for 150/150.  over course of last 10 days had 4 evenings of this.  Internet is basically NOT useable for anything other than text!  Opened 3 cases and got the typical tier 1 person probably because its nighttime on a weekend.  the bottom line is this is looking systemic.  if we can't get our service .levels to a Verizon server they are having issues.  I think its time to start a full Reddit, Twitter, FaceBook campaign.  Verizon isnt being honest, and are doing nothing at least in my opinion.  this isnt a box issue that needs a tech, this is a Verizon POP issue.  

Next thng I'm doing is to contact all neighbors and validate my guesses.  

Sdsmith1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Contacted two different neighbors last night to validate.  They both had the same issue.  Their downloads were 10m to other speedtest locations.  To the direct attached Verizon speedtest location, they were able to get burts to about 40m.  They are also 150M customers and after I pointed this out they were very upset and now understood why they weren't able to play Netflix. 

Verizon seems to not understand that those of us with these problems have to WASTE time trying to see if there is something on our end.  This often requires computers to be rebooted (per their support) or rebooting home routers. 

Next thing I'm doing is posting to the neighborhood page to bring this to the attention of the entire Brambleton community. 

This is not acceptable.  At the very least be honest with your customers.  We sit on hold for hours, try to deal with support people who speak/write poor english and do not understand the context of what you say.  When I ask if they can check if FIOS is having larger issues they say they don't know how to do that, but would need to get a escalation tech to assist... Keep in mind this is only after 45 minutes where they go through a script that they follow to the letter.  Woa to you if you get them off their script...  after all this they get a escalation case...

Then the next morning the ticket is closed as the Tech closes without ANY contact with me, and says it's now resolved. 

Well yippee WHAT WAS RESOLVED?  Where does the fault lay? 

We are paying well north of $200/month for this? 

Social media here I come!

0 Likes
snoborder101
Enthusiast - Level 2

Brambleton in Loudoun? I live near there. I understand your frustration. I've sat on the line with tech support multiple times. Each time knowing that it was nothing on my end, because I had already gone through everything in hopes of not having to deal with tech support. No offense to their tech support, but it the same written procedure each time. Verizon knows what the issue is here. Why they continue to play these games is beyond me. 

As tax payers we subsidize a lot of the cost, and then pay them on top of that for the service they provide. It's absurd that this sort of thing is allowed to continue.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sdsmith,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi snoborder101,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Sdsmith1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes right in Loudoun. 

Yea it's been progressively getting worse over the last 2 months I'd say.  But the last 2 weeks has been basically no longer useable past 8:00 PM for any Video Over the Top services(Netflix, Amazon,etc).  So I'm not sure if this is a shaping/throttling issue that VZ is doing recently or what.

To be honest I've had great service for about 2 years, and I was happy to pay for the service.  Now though I'm beginning to think that they have either stopped investing in upgrades for current nodes, or simply are letting the service go downhill.  It's hard to say. 

Now they have a case opened... so now I'll reboot all my devices again, even though I've confirmed it's a neighborhood issue as two other neighbors have the same issue. 

The funny thing is, I would pay more if I can just get my bandwidth.  I even checked out the business plans to see if they have better SLA's. 

Cheers,

0 Likes
snoborder101
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I don't know if I'm willing to pay more, but I hear you. My service was the same way up until a few months ago. It's been downhill from there. Now it's to the point where it's practically unusable for anything streaming. Keep me updated on your progress with the Verizon ticket.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon doesn't shape or throttle.  Its in their TOS.    Also there are no SLA's with FiOS. 

And it sounds like you just have a technical problem.  Let their support team help you out.  The Netflix problem is long gone, and FiOS is rated number 1 on Netflix's ISP index 3 months in a row now.

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa

0 Likes
Sdsmith1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Trust me when I say no one wants it to work more than I do...  I'm the IT support & help desk at my house, and you don't realize how important this is until you have 4 kids bombarding you with questions and an angry wife wondering why nothing is working.

My hope is that it's an easy uplink from the OLT, or perhaps the link from the OLT to the fiber splitter.  But with multiple neighbors having the same issue I think it's safe to say it's not within my house. 

I understand what you are saying about not throttling, but I'm not saying towards a specific user.  All traffic at some point is throttled it's the notion of queuing, eventually you get throttled by the absolute uplink or uplinks physical bandwidth. 

I think that this is all related to heavy video streaming days, and that they need to upgrade a couple links, but it could be some flaky fiber perhaps. 

Thanks for the positive thoughts!

Cheers,

0 Likes