Verizon won't switch from coax to ethernet--minimum speed?
nycampbells
Enthusiast - Level 2

We just called support to make the switch from coax to ethernet out of our ONT and the technician says we have to be paying for a minimum speed of 150mbps. (We're on a plan for 75.) He also said he could get us a deal on a higher minimum speed of 150, but we'd have to pay $150 for a technician to come to our home. Is this a new policy? I don't see anything in the forums about needing a minimum speed to be able to switch from coax to ethernet. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon won't switch from coax to ethernet--minimum speed?
nycampbells
Enthusiast - Level 2

So just for anyone who might be reading this, I noticed there was a chat option for support and I hopped on there and asked the technician about my issue. He switched me over from coax to ethernet in a flash with no issues. He did mention that my contract had expired and I may want to talk to the sales team about a better deal, so that may have played a role in the initial phone call. 

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just swtiching they can do for free.  Having them run wire is a different question.  People running even slower speeds than you have run their own ethernet cable to the ont and just called in to switch.

By the way do NOT disconnect the COAX when you connect the ethernet. Its needed for TV serivce(uses MOCA) and a convenient way to connect some device (via MOCA) to the Internet.

nycampbells
Enthusiast - Level 2

We didn't ask them to do anything except make the switch. The ethernet cable is already connected from the ONT to the router. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@nycampbells wrote:

We didn't ask them to do anything except make the switch. The ethernet cable is already connected from the ONT to the router. 

All new internet connections are being done as ethernet. Previously if you had 100/100 or higher the switch was worth it to them. And they didn’t charge. However in some cases and places they charge/don’t charge for the switch over.

in your name I see NY in the moniker. If you are in NY you can contact the NYS Department of public service at http://www.dps.ny.gov and speak to them they may be able to help you.

0 Likes
nycampbells
Enthusiast - Level 2

So just for anyone who might be reading this, I noticed there was a chat option for support and I hopped on there and asked the technician about my issue. He switched me over from coax to ethernet in a flash with no issues. He did mention that my contract had expired and I may want to talk to the sales team about a better deal, so that may have played a role in the initial phone call. 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad you got it worked out.

0 Likes