Verizon
Jrlowe57

I feel upset, cheated, lied to, stupid. When I signed up for the triple play package, almost two years ago, I was told that I had to either buy or rent Verizon router because only Verizon equipment would work. Proprietary nonsense. Now I find out I could of used my own. I'm so **bleep** off. How's that for creating consumer confidence. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon probably says this because with TV service, it's not a plug and play process to use your own router, and they don't want their support to deal with having to walk people through all the steps. Especially if someone isn't even a little tech savvy, in which case they're probably almost certainly going to break their TV service trying to use their own router. 

But yeah, they shouldn't say outright that you can't use your own router. 

View solution in original post

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon probably says this because with TV service, it's not a plug and play process to use your own router, and they don't want their support to deal with having to walk people through all the steps. Especially if someone isn't even a little tech savvy, in which case they're probably almost certainly going to break their TV service trying to use their own router. 

But yeah, they shouldn't say outright that you can't use your own router. 

jonjones1
Legend

@Jrlowe57 wrote:

I feel upset, cheated, lied to, stupid. When I signed up for the triple play package, almost two years ago, I was told that I had to either buy or rent Verizon router because only Verizon equipment would work. Proprietary nonsense. Now I find out I could of used my own. I'm so **bleep** off. How's that for creating consumer confidence. 

An informed consumer is a wise consumer.  As with any business if they want you to subscribe to their offerings they often times make you use/buy their equipment.

it is true you can use your own router. However to be fair if you have a problem there is no support for your own outside router.

now as with the triple play you would have had to use Verizon's router to get tv and phone.

you could have used a owner supplied router in Access Point mode or bought converters to keep tv etc.

if internet only you don't need Verizon's router at all. But you have issues you fix the problem yourself.