Very Low Fios Speeds
vitifera

I'm paying for 100/100 but only get about 35/40. Using MI424WRI router plugged into my desktop 3" away. Got on the chat with someone who first told me I had my own router (I do not) and then tried to upsell me a new one at a rate of $15/month. My routers have always been provided by Verizon and I don't understand how they could sell me Fios and not provide the equipment, or try to make me pay for additional equipment despite the fact that I'm already only getting 40% of what I'm paying for, at best. Have gone through the manual "Fix Now" troubleshooters to no effect. Been waiting for a live tech agent for over an hour. If Verizon can't provide the speeds I'm paying for, they should refund me the difference. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Very Low Fios Speeds
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

First of all, know that you're talking to other users here.  If you want something from Verizon, you need to ask them.

Many, many years ago, Verizon provided routers at not cost.  They've been renting them or selling them for years.  You won't find an internet provider that gives out routers at no charge anymore, it's just the way it is.

Do you have the Rev I. Actiontec?  The one with the red band around the front?  It can easily support 100Mbps.  If you have an older model, you'll need to upgrade.  You can buy used models online, I suggest you get a G1100 as they are available for a decent price.

If you want help debugging this, post some more details.  These will be helpful:

• Method you're using to test speed
  • Full model number of your router
  • ONT to Router connection type; coax or Ethernet
  • FiOS TV boxes: yes or no
  • Router port used for computer connection

View solution in original post

Re: Very Low Fios Speeds
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

First of all, know that you're talking to other users here.  If you want something from Verizon, you need to ask them.

Many, many years ago, Verizon provided routers at not cost.  They've been renting them or selling them for years.  You won't find an internet provider that gives out routers at no charge anymore, it's just the way it is.

Do you have the Rev I. Actiontec?  The one with the red band around the front?  It can easily support 100Mbps.  If you have an older model, you'll need to upgrade.  You can buy used models online, I suggest you get a G1100 as they are available for a decent price.

If you want help debugging this, post some more details.  These will be helpful:

• Method you're using to test speed
  • Full model number of your router
  • ONT to Router connection type; coax or Ethernet
  • FiOS TV boxes: yes or no
  • Router port used for computer connection