Very Low Speed downloads on a 25/25 plan
awindrider
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Folks,

Have you noticed any internet speed degradation recently, especially in Malibu, California area?

Most of the time (the last 4 weeks) my the Internet speed averages 1-4Mbits on a 25/25 Verizon network plan.

The following is my setup:

* FIOS 25/25 plan.

* MI424WR Actiontec Router.

* Two tower computers, both 4-Cores AMD:

1 – Comp.1 can boot Fedora-14, Win7 Ultimate and XP-Pro from OS dedicated hard drives.

2 – Comp.2 a newly built, boots only Win7 Ultimate.

The speed tests have been conducted only on the wired configuration, namely, cables go from the computers to the MI424WR 10/100 ports.

The upload transactions are always solid between 15Mbits-26Mbits but the downloads are between 0.5Mbits to 30.5Mbits depending on which website or which sever is selected and finally the Verizon’s own tests always indicate 25-30Mbits for Downloads and Uploads, the reason for Verizon result is that Verizon test is done on their own “private” network and it does not go on the Internet network backbone.

I received a replacement MI424WR router but it did not improve the situation, and in two occasions we had in house visit by Verizon’s technicians confirming that there are no internal issues in my house plus Verizon remotely logged into my computers and they ran the tests so they are aware of the low speed problem.

They replaced the Fiber Optic unit and still the same type of problem remains.

I have been running the following web site tests:

Speakeasy.net

Speedtest.net

Dslreport.com

Speedtest.umflint.edu

Nitro.ucsc.edu

Netspeed.stanford.edu

Testmy.net

Broadband.gov

Speedguide.net

2wire.com

Etc…..

Plus I ran “tracert <web-address>” on the command line.

This is what I found:

1 – The test results vary from time to time and from server to server but certain website tests constantly have low download numbers 0.5 - 4.0Mbits very much in line with what I'm experiencing.

2 – The most accurate test results are from the website using one test at a time scheme;  in other words, they use a queue system and serve one client at a time; e.g. Nitro.ucsc.edu and Netspeed.stanford.edu are one of the few.

It confirms the slow download transactions.

3 – File size matters, if the download size is less than 5Mbytes then the download numbers are low.

4 – It does not matter which Operating system I use, the results are very close.

5 – I contacted the Internet Backbone providers like “Level3” after tracing where the connection timed out and they confirmed that the problem resides on the Verizon not the end user, but Verizon do not take it seriously; after many calls, the Verizon’s customer service indicated that Verizon do not guarantee the internet speed, it could be anything between 0-25Mbits, so they charge the customer for a service which they cannot provide, THANKS Verizon.

I appreciate any input from the members or Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: Very Low Speed downloads on a 25/25 plan
stereo55
Enthusiast - Level 3

My brother is having the same problem in Murrieta Calif  , as its only been the last few days that his download speed is about 1-3mbps on a 25/25  connection (upload is close to the norm) . We both are VERY computer savy so everything has been checked or tried thus far . Infact Iam having to post this as he can  barely get on/into the Verizon forums his connection is that bad .

I too have a 25/25 connection , and live about 10 miles from my brother (Menifee Calif) . Fortunately my  connection does not seem to be effected download wise , but my upload as lessened the last few days down to 15mbps . I have also noticed my ip address has changed again from a local Menifee node that was pretty much down the street from me with a  73.xxx address , now to a 71.xxx address in Huntington Beach (and before both of these I was getting routed from the middle of the country , go figure??) .

Not sure if Verizon is doing upgrades in certain parts of S.cal lately or some   other work on their end , but my brother and I both had identical outages (same exact times and everything) last week , but luckly just for a night .  That may have just been a precursor/warning to us that they are working in our area  , and the fact my local ip addy/node address has again been rerouted .

My brothers calling in the morning about this , so I'll update as info comes in ...  

0 Likes
Blueliner1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good, I'm not the only person in the area with this problem. I too live in Murrieta, on the Temecula border and ever since about Friday I have been having terrible download speed. I believe we have the 25/25 service and I'm lucky to to get 3/4. After about midnight it clears up a little but never seems to get over 5 download speed.

0 Likes
pulverizer

Also in Murrieta on the 35/35 plan and having the same issues since Friday night. Sometimes it's been downright unbearable. Speedtest.net @ 2.5 down / 32 up.

0 Likes
stereo55
Enthusiast - Level 3

*UPDATE*

Ok , as of today , looks like my brothers problems in his  Murrieta area have been fixed  . It was not his house line / internal home setup  or anything as such ,  it seems it was somewhere on Verizon's end .  After another test early this morning , speeds are full on his 25/25 account with up @ 25 , dn @ 31  ; and  have continued good throughout the day thus far .

Ive also noticed my Menifee ip addy is back locally (73.xxx)  to a Menifee node (vs Huntington Beach 71.xxx)) with full up speed back to 26mbps ( on a 25/25) .

Again , not sure what was fixed or done on Verizons end ( as we never got a chance to do  a support call ) , but things are looking much better atm .

Hope others have the same results . 

0 Likes
Very Low Speed downloads on 15/5 Plan - Poughkeepsie NY Area
jimryan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon replaced both ONT and router yesterday but still at 9 pm bandwidth dropped to 0.21 / 0.06 (yes the decimals and zeros are correct).  By 10:20 pm it jumped back up to 21 / 5.  Is anyone else experiencing these kind of bandwidth swings in the NY area?

0 Likes
Tactical

Im also having very slow download speeds in malibu area. I am on the old plan 10/2. My downloads get as low as 1mb but my uploadspeed stays normal.

Let me know if you find a fix.

0 Likes
awindrider
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

After spending three weeks with Verizon tech support in order to figure out where the problem is I decided to upgrade the speed from 25/25 to 35/35 to find out if it has to do with Verizon’s settings but it did not help.    

The visiting tech told me that he was approached by a customer living on the land side of the PCH in Malibu and he was asked if Verizon had any internet problems.

Today, they gave me the “boot” and politely asked to change provider (Charter anyone?); that is very encouraging!!

Unfortunately, FCC does not protect the customers we pay for the service which companies cannot deliver.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

DId Verizon seriously tell you to change services if you weren't happy with the service they provided? Doesn't really sound like a company who wishes to promote a Fiber to the Home network to me though obviously, a rep/tech cannot voice for the entire company if they're unhappy with things internally.

I know that in some areas, Verizon is having capacity issues in the COs and thus are affecting both DSL and FiOS connections. It would be nice to get some word on any network upgrades thare taking place though for those affected people.

awindrider
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have no reason to post untrue comments; I have spent days and hours in the last 4 weeks with Verizon’s tech support to solve this problem.  

I even paid installation and connection fees for one month to Charter Comm. only to find out if the problem is on Verizon’s network or common for Malibu.  

The Charter network works great, close to the constant data flow of 18Mbits plan which I’m paying for (their TV sucks).

Today after close two hours online with tech support logged into my computer and closely watching the test results from different test sites, I was given my options:

Choice 1 – Verizon cannot help me because problems are outside the Verizon net (which I agree).

Comment:  

Backbone provider Level3’s tech support debugged my problems during one hour session and he pointed out that Verizon is the party to correct the problem not the end user.

Choice 2 – Accept the current short comings and hopefully it will be corrected in future.

Comment: 

Why are they selling and charging for the plans if they cannot deliver?   I’m a computer professional and know about the network shortcomings but getting 1-2Mbits instead of 25Mbits is too much.

Choice 3 – Use another provider.

Comment: 

insulting the customer; now if as you indicate there are some problems, please Verizon tell the customer, we understand and work with you.

During this period, I had pleasure to talk to many good people at Verizon, this IS NOT bashing rather we all share same interest to have good service delivered by provider and paid happily by customer.

Thanks

0 Likes