Very Slow DOwnloads speeds with Actiontec router and brand spanking new Acer laptop fix!
ian_socool

{edited for privacy}

Do not go crazy thinking it is your Wifi Card or your router is old and bad, ust try this and if all else fails then upgrade if you must.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Very Slow DOwnloads speeds with Actiontec router and brand spanking new Acer laptop fix!
ddobo1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I purchased a new Acer Aspire E15  this week and also experienced very slow download speeds with the Actiontec FIOS router.  Contacted Acer support and the tech explained their new technology wireless adapter "frequency" was not compatible with the router.  He suggested I contact Verizon.  I Didn't buy this since we have new cell phones, XBox and other devices connected.  Got to a supervisor who understood the problem.  First, the device driver for wireless adapter was uninstalled and reinstalled.  We then went to the device properties and advanced options.  After selecting wireless mode, values appear in a drop down such as 12-11a/b/g/n/ab.   The value needs to be changed.  The supervisor suggested the third value which immediately improved download speed.  I tested each value with an online internet speedtest and found the best performance with the second value.  Apparently, the higher values work best with newer routers.  This must be a common problem for Acer who probably gets many new laptops returned by frustrated buyers.

View solution in original post

Re: Very Slow DOwnloads speeds with Actiontec router and brand spanking new Acer laptop fix!
jonjones1
Legend

@ian_socool wrote:

{edited for privacy}

Do not go crazy thinking it is your Wifi Card or your router is old and bad, ust try this and if all else fails then upgrade if you must.

Cute video, however wifi speeds depending on the router brand and technology be it an AC/B/G/N will achieve much greater speeds. 

I have 150/150 and I can give you a screen shot of my wifi connection using an Apple iPad / iPhone 

your speed even under wifi is abysmal. In many cases 50% of your advertised speed is considered great. I see you are happy with your speed and that is all that matters.

i am using a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 which costs around $400 depending on where you purchase the router.

in the video you give a great suggestion as turning QOS off etc. but I would still call support since it clearly is slower than normal.

i also own an Acer and it has the AC wifi card in it. And I could post a screen shot of that speed test and it is the same as what I posted above.

what is your wired connection speeds? If you are 50/50 then it should be over that amount with provisioning.

Re: Quantum Router Is No Better Than My Old Actiontec
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of comments:

1) I would redo your video. During the course of shooting, you showed your wan ip address. And I didn't freeze and look, but did you also show your password on the router? Both of those are strong security violations that can be used to hack your router and your network.

2) WMM is used to priortize multi media streaming over other data via wifi. So if you don't do much video streaming, then making thsi change won't affect you. But if you do and start to see poor performance, you will know why.

3) Wifi performance can also be affect by other issue. Another signal on the same or adjacent channels can affect performance. As can other RF interference sources.  So it may also help to use a wifi analyzer to help determine if your WIFI settings are optimal.

ddobo1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I purchased a new Acer Aspire E15  this week and also experienced very slow download speeds with the Actiontec FIOS router.  Contacted Acer support and the tech explained their new technology wireless adapter "frequency" was not compatible with the router.  He suggested I contact Verizon.  I Didn't buy this since we have new cell phones, XBox and other devices connected.  Got to a supervisor who understood the problem.  First, the device driver for wireless adapter was uninstalled and reinstalled.  We then went to the device properties and advanced options.  After selecting wireless mode, values appear in a drop down such as 12-11a/b/g/n/ab.   The value needs to be changed.  The supervisor suggested the third value which immediately improved download speed.  I tested each value with an online internet speedtest and found the best performance with the second value.  Apparently, the higher values work best with newer routers.  This must be a common problem for Acer who probably gets many new laptops returned by frustrated buyers.

TREEAD

Thank you. Thank you. After speaking to ACER, had it all ready and shipped in the box to return until I found your post. I really like this laptop's features and did not want to return it. After 8 hours of troubleshooting and new lap top research, you savd the day and me a lot more time, energy, more and frustration.

The exact right solution

0 Likes
vatr1

So here it is many months later from you post.... I just bought two Aspire 5 series which have the same issue. My old gateway is getting 60-80mb on wireless and the new Acer was getting 2mb. I changed the mode setting to option 3 and that gets me up to 15mb max. So do I need to get a new Fios Router to match up with the new Acer? THx

0 Likes