Re: Very Slow internet in Chino HIlls, CA
stereo55
Enthusiast - Level 3

Very slow in Riverside (Menifee) . Unbearably slow . Whats going on here lately ? Glad to see Iam not the only one having issues (well you no what I mean)

I "was" going to re-do (and upgrade) my contract again (this week) , but Iam having some serious doubts atm , or  untill things get cleared up . Dang , and I just refered my brother to FIOS this week with an install date of this Tues . God he'll be **bleep** if his new FIOS setup runs as slow as mine has been recently ( he only lives 8 miles from me Murietta , CA) . 

0 Likes
John_Wolf
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm in Portland, OR and am having severe internet problems as well so it's not just CA.  Mine started tonight at around 9 p.m. PST.  I was trying to play a game on battle.net and am no longer unable to connect.  Here's my tracert:

Tracing route to us.battle.net [12.129.242.40]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  **** [192.168.1.1]
  2     5 ms     6 ms     6 ms  10.40.0.3
  3    10 ms    48 ms    39 ms  184.19.244.0
  4    10 ms    16 ms    24 ms  108.57.128.160
  5    14 ms    15 ms    11 ms  0.so-7-1-0.XT1.SEA7.ALTER.NET [152.63.105.57]
  6    12 ms    19 ms    20 ms  0.so-2-0-0.XT1.SEA1.ALTER.NET [152.63.104.225]
  7    12 ms    16 ms    11 ms  POS6-0.BR1.SEA1.ALTER.NET [152.63.105.17]
  8    14 ms    11 ms    12 ms  192.205.33.121
  9    38 ms    43 ms    42 ms  cr1.st6wa.ip.att.net [12.122.146.46]
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13    40 ms    39 ms    71 ms  gar5.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.129.25]
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15    44 ms    39 ms    43 ms  12.129.193.242
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.

I killed after this point.  I am not sure what's going on here, looks like an issue with att.net  Very irritating though.

0 Likes
stereo55
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ditto on the tracert here BUT WORSE to Amazon .com

Things are ok till I get to the 11th hop (out of 30) , then everything from 11-30 hop is "request timed out" !

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well remember folks, "request timed out" does not necessarily mean that there is a problem. Those hops that do not have any replies could simply mean that that router is not set to respond. Many companies program their routers not to respond. doesnt mean that you are having any issues. Now if you see one that gives you a response one time and not the next, then that is a problem. But those that never respond, usually nothing wrong there. So while there do look to be some minor ping fluctuations on those that have been posted, there is nothing there to show any definitive problems. At least nothing to indicate where the problem is.

Have you tried running a speed test to see how your network is doing?

Try going to www.speedtest.net and run tests to several locations. Now make sure that you run tests to your general geographic area, but test in several directions. For example, in Los Angles, run tests to LA, Las Vegas, San Diego, Phoenix, and San Fancisco.  Not to Dallas or Tampa. cross country will not give accurate results. But local tests can tell you if there is a problem in a certain direction. So if your speeds look OK to everywhere except for Phoenix for example, then you know your network is OK, there is just a problem out on the net somewhere between you and Phoenix. If you test bad everywhere, then it is likely to be a problem on the local network.

0 Likes
John_Wolf
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I am getting The connection has timed out on a lot of sites I am trying to go to I would say it's more than just routers not responding to my ping.

I ran a line quality test and am seeing 44% packet loss on one of the hops and 100% on a couple others:

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2633243

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

And you could absolutely be correct. No my point was that "not responding" doesnt mean anything is wrong in and of itself. It very well could be a router that is down or not responding. No, my point was that it could simply be a router that is set not to respond. On your line quality test, the two routers that show 100% loss, could be two differnt things. Either a router in "black hole" mode (or stealth mode), or a bad router. Now the router with 40% loss is definatly a problem. Anything more than 5% would generally be of concern. But from the looks of it, it looks like it is likely a problem with ATT servers. but it looks like it is outside your or verizon networks.

0 Likes
John_Wolf
Enthusiast - Level 3

Agreed with your points, I should have clarifiied in my post, I understand the 100% packet loss could very well be a router that's set to deny ping responses.  I know I have my own router at home setup like this 🙂  But like you said, the 44% is worrisome.

Either way it looks like there's a few more people coming out of the woodwork with connectivity issues.  Many of them seem to be to domains/authentication servers owned by Blizzard and it only seems to be affecting West coast customers.  I wonder if the earthquake has anything to do with this.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=24038610145&sid=1

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24055557-worldofwarcraftcom-down-for-anyone-else

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I just checked with one of my neighbors (they have two ATT DSL lines) Both of their dsl lines are having the same issues at the att.net network. They say they've been fighting with ATT for the last two weeks with constant drops on the att.net routers. So if it is the same issue, it looks like it may be an issue on the outside of the Verizon network. The issue in Oregon, is definatly a problem outside of Verizon, the one here in CA may or may not be related.

0 Likes
MisterJefferson
Enthusiast - Level 3

Anyone having better luck tonight? My initial check is showing much promise that the lag is fixed, at least on my end.  PingPlotter is showing that my packet loss on 130.81.180.174 stopped at 8am, and that "unknown" router is now showing an IP address (130.81.29.124) as of 4am (but is probably not pingable, since it still shows 100% loss).

J

0 Likes